Sony Sony CRF-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjxii

Just got this after my favorite tech replaced the dial lights and gave it an aligmnent. Only got to play with it for a few days before it went out and now that its's back, but a few observations about this "old timer" already.

The tuning scheme on this rx really is all I've heard: weird! I don't mean using the preselector, I'm used to that from using the ICF-6800W for years. Fine tuning is done in 100 kHz sections,then you need to switch to a higher frequency and retune.

The filter choices in this radio are perfect in my opinion. Wide AM in most receivers from this era were too narrow for my liking, muffled the audio too much. The CRF-1 gives good choices for AM. The SSB filter is very good, better than most 1970/80 radios.

Great noise blanker, most don't do much if anything.

Really, really sensitive with an external antenna (not the whip!) throughout it's entire tuning range, although it has let local broadcasters show up where they shouldn't on daytime power. It's pretty quiet tuning between stations, I sold some otherwise good performers because I didn't like the general noise from the rx itself.

Most surprising of all is that it tunes and receives below 10 kHz, right down to 0 kHz. I found this out when I was using my VLF loopstick for "submarine signals," tuned lower and was hearing lighting EXACTLY as described on Weatherwise's website on what to expect at different frequency ranges from 0 to 9 kHz. Turning the direction of the loopstick and comparing it to real time lightning maps confirmed it. The DX-1000 does well down to 10 kHz but doesn't tune lower.

This is a keeper!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.