Sony ICF 2001D, Eton E1 or Sangean ATS-909X

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There's a lot to say about all 3 radios, but let's start with a definition or two - The Sony and Sangean are true portables, while the E1 is what has been termed a 'portatop'. This was a term coined many years ago byu Larry Magne of Passport fame to describe a radio that bridges a gap between a desktop and portable. Indeed, the E1 has no carrying handle (altho there have been a few intrepid modifiers out there that put one on). You need a good carrying case for this radio, and for some, that's a deal breaker.

The ICF2010 (known as the 2001D in other countries) is by far, the standard that other portable radios are judged against. Unfortunately it's very long in the tooth, and I'm not entirely sure if Sony still services them.

The Sangean is a nice radio, but it, like the E1, has had reports of QC issues. If you are heavily into voice utilities, the 30hz tuning for sideband might be enough to give you some pause. I am sure there is a Yahoo group or two for this radio

If you get one that works well, and doesn't have the sticky coating issue that has been reported, the E1 is a clear winner, performance wise. Fact is that this radio was a joint venture between RL Drake and Eton, and in fact, up to a couple of years back (I lost track of this), there was a Drake engineer who repaired these radios. Selectivity is outstanding, and the audio is quite clean (altho a bit bassy for my tastes). If you don't mind the size, it was a popular choice. Keep in mind there were 2 versions - one with Satellite radio (the E1XM) and one without (the E1).

Frankly you can do better. For almost the same money, many SDRs (software defined radios) can beat the pants off of most portables. However, if you are set on these 3, research the various Yahoo groups and reviews. If it were me, and I had gotten a good working E1, I'd be a happy camper, but that's just me.

Mike

lolbananalol2

Premium Subscriber
There's a lot to say about all 3 radios, but let's start with a definition or two - The Sony and Sangean are true portables, while the E1 is what has been termed a 'portatop'. This was a term coined many years ago byu Larry Magne of Passport fame to describe a radio that bridges a gap between a desktop and portable. Indeed, the E1 has no carrying handle (altho there have been a few intrepid modifiers out there that put one on). You need a good carrying case for this radio, and for some, that's a deal breaker.

The ICF2010 (known as the 2001D in other countries) is by far, the standard that other portable radios are judged against. Unfortunately it's very long in the tooth, and I'm not entirely sure if Sony still services them.

The Sangean is a nice radio, but it, like the E1, has had reports of QC issues. If you are heavily into voice utilities, the 30hz tuning for sideband might be enough to give you some pause. I am sure there is a Yahoo group or two for this radio

If you get one that works well, and doesn't have the sticky coating issue that has been reported, the E1 is a clear winner, performance wise. Fact is that this radio was a joint venture between RL Drake and Eton, and in fact, up to a couple of years back (I lost track of this), there was a Drake engineer who repaired these radios. Selectivity is outstanding, and the audio is quite clean (altho a bit bassy for my tastes). If you don't mind the size, it was a popular choice. Keep in mind there were 2 versions - one with Satellite radio (the E1XM) and one without (the E1).

Frankly you can do better. For almost the same money, many SDRs (software defined radios) can beat the pants off of most portables. However, if you are set on these 3, research the various Yahoo groups and reviews. If it were me, and I had gotten a good working E1, I'd be a happy camper, but that's just me.

Mike

Thanks for that. The sticky rubber thing is what worries me about the E1. It still seems to be a good radio apart from that. Would I be more happy with the Sony or the Sangean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The sticky coating issue is not unique to the E1; several other Eton and Sony portables have the same issue. There are a few ways to get the coating off (citrus based cleaners reportedly work very well without damaging the lettering) but it is a bit of a pain

I wouldn't get a 2001D for the reasons I mentioned earlier. I would, if given the choice between a 2010 and a ATS909X, likely go with the modified ATS909X by RadioLabs. Do your homework - Google this. I can't make a recommendation for other people (putting aside personal tastes and preferences, particularly someone whose reception conditions are completely different from mine). Get on a mailing list to talk to other ATS909X owners (surely there must be at least 1 somewhere - likely on Yahoo groups). You will find much more out from fellow users on a dedicated list than almost anywhere else. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.