Soup Can Fix for Receiving Simulcast P25 CQPSK, Oakland, Ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

e63

Frustrated with Oakland P25 CQPSK Modulated system. the multi-path problem with this system brought back memoirs of an antenna I once saw which dealt with interference. The antenna was "can" shaped unit mounted horizontally on a TV type mast. It was about a foot long and six inches in diameter painted black. It appeared to be circularly polarized. So I got the idea to construct a similar antenna on a smaller scale no particular polarization. I used stuff I had on hand. Upon completion I hooked it up to my Uniden 396xt, turned on the radio, SUPRISE, SUPRISE! I'm now hearing Oakland P25 CQPSK as if I'm listening to an Oakland portable. Pointing the open end of the can toward Gwin Tank on Grizzly Peak Rd. just above the West Portal of the Caldecott Tunnel, the APL Bldg. on Broadway downtown or Seneca Reservoir I have great reception. Pictures attached. E63 or See album for photos

/Users/cevoni/Desktop/SOUP CAN FIX FOR RECEIVING SIMULCAST P25 CQPSK - OAKLAND CA.1.JPG
/Users/cevoni/Desktop/SOUP CAN FIX FOR RECEIVING SIMALCAST P25 CQPSK - OAKLAND, CA 2.JPG
/Users/cevoni/Desktop/SOUP CAN FIX FOR RECEIVING SIMALCAST P25 CQPSK - OAKLAND, CA 3.JPG

Last edited:

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Outstanding! The concept reminds me of those pringles can wifi antenna designs. (In both cases a "poor mans yagi.") I don't see any photos though (just text). Could you try re-uploading them? I would love to see this thing. :)

WA1ATA

You should market them on eBay: Campbell's Condensed Yagi P25 Antenna

Good idea. It fits right in with the Workman Scan4 antenna sold by Universal radio. Construction is nothing more than stripping the last 19" of braid off of a 5' length of RG174. Workman Scan4 Scanner Antenna SC1

All jokes aside, very simplistic antennas often have good performance. Topology counts for more than elegant construction .... at least until it has to sit out in the weather for a few years.

Charlie

MattSF

Premium Subscriber
that's great, like the 2.4GHz wifi cantennas of old. and by old i mean in the last 10 years :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.