South sound 911 programming help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bayou27

I just recently unpacked my pro 163 after a move. Haven't used it in a couple of years. Now that Pierce county and Puyallup are using a trunked system I was wondering if anyone could help me out on programming these into my scanner?
Thanks

Jim

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Although you'll be able to get some stuff on a Phase I scanner, I highly recommend that you get a P25 Phase II scanner for that area.

bayou27

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping I could still use it since it says it's a trunking scanner. Guess I'll be going out for a new one soon. Any recommendations?

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Any recommendations?

You'll need a P25 Phase 2 scanner. Only a few choices really. Whistler TRX-1/2 or Uniden SDS-100/200... or wait a bit longer for the newer TRX models. The Uniden scanners will set you back serious $$$ so it's not a simple decision. Read up on those scanner models before making any decisions. I don't live or play in that area so can't recommend any specific scanner. I suspect the SDS-100/200 would work fine if you're willing to fork out the cash. Also its programming is quite a bit different than the GRE models.

doovenator

Premium Subscriber
Digital P25 Phase II Scanners These are all Phase 2, if your looking to save some money the BCD352P2 and BCD996P2 scanners are under $400 and was just announced can be upgraded to NXDN. I have the HomePatrol-2 and love it (just not upgradeable to DMR or NXDN), especially for mobile with the touch screen, but it comes with a stand and can be used as a base also.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
If you're going to purchase a new digital scanner why would you purchase older gear? Might as well invest in current scanner technology and avoid any situations where technical issues are less likely.

doovenator

Premium Subscriber
I agree, was just pointing out the lowest price stuff first as a starting point. If he's looking to get back into scanning a $700 SDS200 may be a big shock, but not completely necessary for where he lives. I didn't look too in depth at Pierce County systems to see how much simulcast there is, that's where the SDS line really thrives from my understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.