Southern Maryland Link System

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I don't know if we have any Eastern Shore hams here, but I found this while digging up information to check out on repeaters in our area ...

http://www.comfac.com/SMCARA/SMLS Repeaters.pdf

Note that this is a PDF file, so you'll need Adobe, Foxit or one of the other compatible readers (or Google Chrome...) to see it.

I suspect the listing in our database for the Southern Patuxent ARC is outdated; they used to have their own website, now it's gone. Have they folded?

best regards..Mike

groftcc

Premium Subscriber
The SMLS is being dismantled. From what I have heard there was some "disagreement" within the community here in the SOMD area and the result is the once great link system is now gone. A few of the repeaters are still on the air but not linked and some are off the air completely.

Craig

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That's a real shame. I can still hear the Brandywine machine - I can even get into it, but I haven't driven down to Waldorf to see if that's still up.

It would have been a real boon to keep that going, but I'll bet it cost a lot in terms of money and effort. Do you know which repeaters are dead and/or going away? I need to get a ticket together to update the database, as some of the repeaters that were listed under SPARC were part of the SMLS.
Here's the listing - and before anyone gets all hot and bothered, yes I know it's quite a mess - it's been discussed greatly in the private forums. I've been trying to get tickets together to fix this, and add numerous ones that are missing, but so far there's been little or no action...

Maryland ham repeaters - the RR database

best regards..Mike

Last edited:

jim202

The 53.47 repeater in Baltimore can be heard all over the place. Problem is the receiver is almost stone deaf unless your right in the city. Been driving through there a number of times and was on the interstate on the north side of the city where I-95 and I-695 split. The few users that were on the repeater couldn't hardly hear me using a 100 watt transmitter. Now that is bad.

I would be ashamed having a repeater that was this deaf. If your not going to maintain it, then drop the output power back to match the receiver. You can hear the repeater down in the DC area without much of a problem.

Jim

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yeah, that is a shame...

Now a dumb question - what does that have to do with the Southern Md. Link System?

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
OK to restate the question since we got a little OT...

What repeaters from the former SMLS are still on the air, which are gone and which are being dismantled? While we have that information in the database, it's obviously out of date. Anything listed for the Southern Patuxent Amateur Radio Club are the ones to be re-evaluated.

I can still bring up the Brandywine machine on 147.15....best regards..Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I just came back from Waldorf, and I couldn't bring up that repeater with the info in the PDF I mentioned at the beginning of this thread. And with the exception of the input tone being switched with the output tone, the info is in agreement. I guess this one is kaput...I will submit a ticket for it

best regards..Mike

groftcc

Premium Subscriber
The .350 machine that was in Waldorf has been taken down and is moving to a new location in Prince Frederick I believe.

147.195 repeater is still on the air in Hollywood.
147.255 repeater in Prince Frederick is off the air.
147.390 repeater in Lexington Park is off the air.
146.640 repeater in Lexington Park is on the air with a PL of 146.2

Craig

jim202

The .350 machine that was in Waldorf has been taken down and is moving to a new location in Prince Frederick I believe.

147.195 repeater is still on the air in Hollywood.
147.255 repeater in Prince Frederick is off the air.
147.390 repeater in Lexington Park is off the air.
146.640 repeater in Lexington Park is on the air with a PL of 146.2

Craig

For what it is worth:

147.225 has a repeater on the air in Silver Spring using 123.0 - N3BX
147.390 has a repeater on the air in Cooksville using 156.7 - K3GQA

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Do you mean 147.255, not 147.225 for the N3BX machine? .225 has been WB3GXW Silver Spring for as long as I can remember. And as for 147.39, I thought that's one of the K3CUJ Columbia system frequencies too, with the same PL; have to look at that one.

best regards...Mike

Last edited:

Aa3rt

La Plata, Charles Co, MD MP 38.8 on the Pope's Cre
Charles County repeaters

For what it's worth:

I don't see any Charles County repeaters listed. Here in my little corner of the world:

W3BPT Blossom Point (About 12 miles southwest of La Plata) 146.85 Mhz No PL, TSQL 131.8

W3ZO Hughesville 145.39 Mhz, PL & TSQL 186.2

KA3GRW 443.700 Mhz, No PL, TSQL 179.9

I should make note that the W3BPT repeater is experiencing a receive problem and can't be accessed at the moment but I still hear the W3BPT/R call sign being broadcast.

The KA3GRW machine has been off the air for about a month as of this writing. The feedline was saturated with water during Tropical Storm Lee and repairs are SLOWLY being made.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
OK thanks. I'm not sure what this has to do with the Link System, but this is good info...

You can submit a ticket to have these added to the database yourself. Your best bet is to go to the Charles county database page here...

Charles County, Maryland (MD) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Click on the Submit tab on the far right. Make sure you submit at least the input/output freq, input and output PL (the admins might not understand what TSQL means), license and location. It would be helpful if any of those belong to a repeater group that has a website that you could also supply.

I don't believe the Maryland admins are hams, so being as specific as you can is going to help them out in the long run. 73 Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.