SouthernLINC Wireless completes narrowbanding for Clanton, Alabama police department

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
SouthernLINC Wireless completes narrowbanding for Clanton, Alabama.). police department - Oct 12, 2011 2:42 PM
The Clanton (Ala.) Police Department has selected push-to-talk service from SouthernLINC Wireless to achieve compliance with the Federal Communications Commission's narrowbanding mandate.

Faced with limited time and a projected expenditure of more than a half-million dollars in order to bring his department's outdated, conventional radio system into compliance with this FCC mandate, Clanton Police Department Chief Brian Stilwell was at a communications and financial crossroads.
http://urgentcomm.com/mobile_voice/briefs/southerlinc-narrowbanding-complete-20111012/

medic9351301

Banned
what a dumb *** i guess is officer saftey means nothing to him. i will say this SOUTHERN LINC IS NOT DESIGNED FOR PUBLIC SAFTEY!!!!!!!!

I can recall numerous officers being injured and having to wait for help because of this radios. because of the batteries being knocked of and having to wait for the units to boot up

what happens in the event of a disaster or interop the article stated that he got a grant if he got one why in the heck did he not get a real radio system,

or go back to the so system like the were before it cant be because of traffic chilton county does not talk much

just my two cents

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
What a Dumb Move to rely on the Linc for Full Time. It is a good secondary radio when everything works. When it goes bad it will not work. I remember years ago Atlanta, Georgia Police Undercover Agents were going to use Southern Linc full time. They soon found out that the chirp the radio makes when it keys up was giving away there hidding spots. There is also a 3 second delay before you hear the audio from another user. Then you have the case of The Enterprise, Alabama Tornado and Southern Linc. When the Tornado hit Enterprise officers were unable to communicate on the Lincs. During a disaster everyone gets on the Link and overloads the system. Everyone from Mom, to Dad, Kids , Public Saftery have a Linc. To many users are on during a disaster.
See link.
Southern LINC network overloaded by tornado responders..... in Wireless News at WirelessAdvisor.com Forums

and

Tornado Responders Slowed By Cell Phones - CBS News

I remember years ago Birmingham PD used SouthernLinc or some flavor of it. They didn't like it and now they're on an 800mhz P25 system.

I see SouthernLinc advertising on TV here just like I see Verizon and others advertising so it makes sense that an SL system would be overloaded during a disaster because of average citizens tying things up.

medic9351301

Banned
i have several friends that are/was bham pd officers that got injured because of them .

wb4wdu

As a technician that worked on a lot of the Clanton PD radios up untill about a year ago I can swear under oath that most all of there mobile units and handheld radios only needed to be programmed for narrowband operation. In fact I think some channels were already narrowband. So many people think that they must go digital to go narrowband. They dont understand that it is two different things and most sales people will try to sell the digital as narrowband. Bigger sale and more commission. I wonder if this is what happened here. I cant see over a half million dollars being spent to upgrade this system. I think someone was just trying to make a big sale and it backfired on them. Could be wrong. Just my $.02 worth.

jayel

Southern Linc is fine for administration but is not for public safety. Everybody has to learn on their own, and some will never learn. Some will pay with their life and limb, But in the meantime motorola and their salesmen will get lots of our money.

MXER

We had tornadoes in our area April 27th as many in our state did. The Sheriffs in my county use SouthernLINC or Nextel for TAC (Can't remember which one) Once the tornado struck, TAC was basically inoperable and they resorted to standard FM radio communications. When something does happen where everyone jumps on a cellphone, it overloads and they can't communicate.

That said, I hate every time dispatch explains a situation and then she says, "Further on TAC".

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
As a technician that worked on a lot of the Clanton PD radios up untill about a year ago I can swear under oath that most all of there mobile units and handheld radios only needed to be programmed for narrowband operation. In fact I think some channels were already narrowband. So many people think that they must go digital to go narrowband. They dont understand that it is two different things and most sales people will try to sell the digital as narrowband. Bigger sale and more commission. I wonder if this is what happened here. I cant see over a half million dollars being spent to upgrade this system. I think someone was just trying to make a big sale and it backfired on them. Could be wrong. Just my $.02 worth.

I agree 110% Mototrbo commercials are misleading and being heavily pushed to unsuspecting customers.

SCPD

QRT

I just about bet some radio salesman just happen to visit and tell the Chief Mototrbo will solve the narrow banding issue,but you have a point I have yet to see and radio shop actually tell customers they only need to reprogram their radios,they see it as a chance to underhandedly sell them a new system.

Status
Not open for further replies.