Space Shuttle Atlantis launch 259.7 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Space Shuttle Atlantis launch on 259.7 Mhz AM primary downlink freq...heard four mins of strong audio standing in my backyard holding an Icom R-10 with a rubber duck antenna...from T+4 to T+8 mins..."Press To MECO" the strongest transmission as it passed above/offshore coastal NC here....priceless !

Barefootdipole
Carteret County NC

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
NICE!!

I heard nothing (as expected). Although, I did hear some data on 6.937 USB, which is listed as an STS support frequency from the MT top 1000 frequencies. No idea if it was related to the launch.

gcgrotz

Anybody know how far inland STS can be heard, like 60 miles west of Richmond? Also, is there a "usual" orbit inclination when linking to ISS? Anywhere this can be found pre-launch?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
You're too far northwest of the track, all flights are at 51* which will pass over you but there's nothing they transmit on frequencies you can monitor.

Trunkster2002

I live 500 miles from the launch pad in Alabama. I hear it just fine. Every launch to the Space Station that is. If its a normal flight, I can't hear it. But when they go to the station, They go up the east coast. Press to MECO is around 200,000 feet. or about 40 miles up. put 259.700 AM in your radios and give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.