Space Shuttle Audio Rebroadcasting In NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

atwageman

Anyone in the Charlotte, NC area know if any broadcast will be done in the area on the 2mtr/70cm ham bands? I'm getting excited about next months luanch.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
I see no listings for the Charlotte (strange)

but here's some HF frequencies (from http://www.ku4ay.net/scanner/shuttle.html )

Retransmission on HF shortwave ham bands (KHz, USB commonly)*

NASA: 20198, 20186

Goddard Space Flight Center
Greenbelt, MD
WA3NAN: 28650, 21395, 14295, 7185, 3860

Johnson Space Center
Houston, TX
W5RRR: 28495, 21350, 14280, 7227, 3850

Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Pasadena, CA
W6VIO: 21340, 21280, 14282, 14270, 7165, 3840

San Francisco, CA
NASAAmes Research Center
K6MF: 7165, 3840

Last edited:

atwageman

Yeah I've got the HF stuff. For years I've always had to monitor on HF. I would like to use vhf/uhf for a change. oh well. I guess it's all a matter of a ham operator wanting to tie up a rig for the duration of a mission.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Or if you're lucky and in the path of the overflight as the Shuttle takes off; the last mission, several folks had 259.7 transmissions until the point of thermal cutoff. I don't know if they're going to use the same freq again. 73s Mike

BMT

259.7 has been used since day one and has been heard in the UK.

BMT

acarsnut

I heard the shuttle sts-114 last one that went up. real good here in grover nc.257.9 have it recorded on my computer.useing a discone and pro-2050.Will be listen for sts-121 and watching on nasa tv.

David
nasa and iss nut

Navairboss

Your Shuttle Frequency Source

As far as Charlotte Shuttle Mission audio availability, to the best of my knowledge you are probably out of luck. I have never seen any listings for that area. Your best bet is HF or check your cable or satellite provider for the NASA Select TV channel.

As far as the UHF downlinks yes they still use them, but in most cases it is used for ascent and descent, and unless you are in the footprint, you won't hear it. And unless they are transmitting while they are in that footprint which last from second to a couple of minutes, you won't hear them.

As a reminder if you are looking for shuttle and NASA related radio information and frequencies, look no further than the list the frequency managers at KSC have recommended publicly on their website:

The Monitoring Times -- Monitoring NASA Communications at URL http://www.monitoringtimes.com/nasa.html

This list link is also available through our Monitoring Times Reference Library Section. You will also find a link for it on my MT-Milcom Blog at http://mt-milcom.blogspot.com. Here you will find a lot of other Milcom related material (nationwide freqs, trunk systems that are not available at RadioRef, search ranges, hurricane freq list and much more).

And best of all, this entire bunch of stuff is free. Don't settle for the normal internet junk list, get your stuff from the best at MT.

73 de Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.