BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Speaker issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2JGA

Ok,what are my options as far as the internal speaker for this radio? It's just about 8 months old and the speaker crapped itself about a month ago. External jack still works, but that kinda defeats the purpose of a $500 radio. If there is a replacement, show me where to get one please.

Voyager

Try plugging in and unplugging (a few times) an external plug into the earphone connector to make sure that isn't blocking the audio to the speaker.

XTS3000

It's still under warranty...send it to Uniden.

Depending on where he bought it from. 3rd party sellers (eBay) have no warranty according to Uniden.

That aside, if covered under warranty, send it in. If not, order a speaker directly from Uniden and replace it yourself. I know others have replaced their 436 speakers in the past without any issues. The speaker itself isn't expensive. Just buy the speaker from Uniden.

Sorry to hear your speaker failed....

Last edited:

XTS3000

If your technical minded, replacing the speaker is easy. If my 436 speaker blew, I'd just buy a new one and replace it myself even if the unit was under warranty. I'd rather spend $20 to not be without my scanner for weeks of not more, but that's just me.

Voyager

Must be a blue moon out. I agree with you. (after confirming the issue is the speaker, and not the earphone jack, of course).

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
You might want to open it up and see if it is actually bad or it's just the really oddly/badly designed contacts aren't contacting. I've seen two so far with intermittent speakers. One was about 50 % dead, the other was about 75%. A smack on the radio would "fix" it most of the time. Both were fixed, seemingly for good, with "deoxit" and they seem fine now. Actual wires to the speaker would have been a better idea, it would have prevented the on/off speaker problem, but it wouldn't fix the rattling speaker issue, due to the junky clip holding the speaker in the radio. I guess it's cheaper than gluing in the speaker as has been done for oh, 50+ years or so in almost any other radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.