• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Spectrum analyzer picks up radar 5hz-20,000hz?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
So recently I began running a spectrum analyzer in order to find out why all of my electronics keep shorting out. I keep picking up radar(?!) signals in the 5hz-20,000hz range. Here is a link to the oscilloscope readings:
Http://radiolistener1892.tumblr.com
Here is a link to the demodulated output via spectrum analyzer:
Radar signals?! - YouTube

So am I misinterpreting this? It very clearly looks like radar to me. Could someone give me some advice or insight on this?

Hi, thanks for the reply! So the reason I think it is radar is that I looked at several wave forms and it matched the appearance of radar (it looks like a bunch of uniform bricks or something). Other waves don't have that geometric appearance. At least, I'm only aware of radar waves having that appearance. It's not the frequency so much as the appearance of the wave. The low frequency makes me think that it is a long distance away. I built a primitive radar jammer as an experiment and it seems to partially block it. I've had several electronics short out since this started and I believe it is related (though not sure).

Jayla

Shorting out ??

I'd spend more time making sure your Electrical system is ok first
check for a good Ground, any Hot outlets first

Hi,
So recently I began running a spectrum analyzer in order to find out why all of my electronics keep shorting out. I keep picking up radar(?!) signals in the 5hz-20,000hz range. Here is a link to the oscilloscope readings:

So am I misinterpreting this? It very clearly looks like radar to me. Could someone give me some advice or insight on this?

KevinC

Super Moderator
Hi,

What type of receiver are you using that goes down to 5Hz?

Radar operates in the ranges above 1Ghz. What you are seeing is just the normal "noise" associated with today's crowded electronic spectrum. In order to "burn out" your electronics you would have to be very, very close to a radar transmitter. You would be noticing the effects long before your electronic equipment. Take the advice of ecps92 and make sure your electrical system is operating correctly.
BB

#Mancow, thanks for replying. So what makes me think it's not any consumer device is because the electrical wiring in your house runs on AC. So I took two different emf detectors (one on my ipad and one that is used by professionals) and took some measurements. They both agreed. I have very high DC emf in my house (up to 80mG DC at times). I usually have below 1mG AC in my house (0.03-0.07mG AC - perfectly normal). Here are pictures of my readings: Untitled

#ecps92, thanks for your response. As I told Mancow, I took two different emf detectors and measured in mG DC and mG AC. My AC readings are perfectly normal (under 1 mG). My DC readings go up to 80mG?! Only a (high-powered?) transmitter can do this. I took readings by my router and they are no higher than anywhere else in the house (sometimes lower). I took an outlet checker and checked every outlet. They are all perfectly grounded and my electrical system is fine. In fact I sleep grounded every night with an electrode connected to a wire and grounded plug. No problems. It's not my electrical system.

#KevinC: so I made an elf loop antenna with some bent up wire soldered to a banana plug. It fits in my mic jack and my spectrum analyzer is just fine with it.

#WAOCB: since this began I have been very ill (vomiting and nausea everyday for months). My great grandmother's pacemaker shorted out (?!) and she had a heart attack. Everyone is very tired for no apparent reason. I've had to be hospitalized for tachycardia and took medication for it. My heart eat went from a dependable 65pm to a new normal of 115 BPm (sometimes up to 200bpm). I used to run mini-marathons but can't run anymore. It sounds unbelievable but this is what is happening. I don't know for sure if it is related.

Additionally, would radar pick up on a microwave leakage detector? I keep detecting microwaves from 0.02-0.06 in my bedroom. I tested every microwave with it and it is 0. My router is 0. I will post a video of this at radiolistener1892.tumblr.com

It's just very strange. I think that someone who is very wealthy may be trying to intimidate me from a lawsuit. I can't find an explanation for this and I'm not saying that is what is going on because I really just don't know. If it is (worse case) any suggestions on documenting this? I think that is the best course of action but I really am just a ham radio amateur. Again, I'm not saying that this is what is happening. My family's ill health and the shorting out of electronics may have nothing to do with this. He just told me that he would give me revenge and I wouldn't like it (I reported him for an ethical violation at work - he was far above me and he got canned. He has a wealthy family however who have ALOT of connections and resources. I keep seeing police cars driving very slowly down the street in front of my house. Again, I'm not accusing anyone of anything. I really just don't know and see it as a remote possibility.

Again, thanks everyone for the replies. I really appreciate it. If anyone has suggestions for reliably documenting this (just in case) I would appreciate it. Thanks everyone!

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android 2.3.4; Linux; Opera Mobi/ADR-1309251116) Presto/2.11.355 Version/12.10)

I am with CBW. The signals are not radar. They look nothing like the radar signals I have worked with.

There is a good chance they are from plasma displays, or could be from a number of other sources.

KevinC

Super Moderator
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android 2.3.4; Linux; Opera Mobi/ADR-1309251116) Presto/2.11.355 Version/12.10)

I am with CBW. The signals are not radar. They look nothing like the radar signals I have worked with.

There is a good chance they are from plasma displays, or could be from a number of other sources.
I'm leaning toward his/her receiver doesn't go that low and this is actually garbage. The average person usually doesn't have access to a VLF receiver...but I could be wrong.

n0nhp

Premium Subscriber
The YouTube video is so grainy and moves around so much I can not make out what the units being measured are, what the frequencies being measured are or anything else! His scope probably goes down to 5Hz and is a 20KHz bandwidth that is why he is giving us those figures. That range of frequencies would not be very good for radar, except for an audio range finder.
I think he has himself confused on what he is actually seeing.
The magnetic fields you are seeing can not be from radar or cellphone, Radio frequencies are very much AC, that is why they are measured in Hz
both the RF and the pulse rates of Radar are measured in Hz. A DC magnetic field is not reversing so is either a DC electromagnet or a permanent field magnet such as the back of your stereo speakers.

There needs to be much more information as to what is "shorting out" (how many times did I get that complaint as a bench tech....) If something shorts, it will either blow a fuse, or let the magic blue smoke out. If it suddenly quits working or works intermittently it is very seldom a short.

More info and better please.

Bruce

Last edited:
I'm bailing, the tin-foil is getting a little to tough

#Mancow, thanks for replying. So what makes me think it's not any consumer device is because the electrical wiring in your house runs on AC. So I took two different emf detectors (one on my ipad and one that is used by professionals) and took some measurements. They both agreed. I have very high DC emf in my house (up to 80mG DC at times). I usually have below 1mG AC in my house (0.03-0.07mG AC - perfectly normal). Here are pictures of my readings: Untitled

#ecps92, thanks for your response. As I told Mancow, I took two different emf detectors and measured in mG DC and mG AC. My AC readings are perfectly normal (under 1 mG). My DC readings go up to 80mG?! Only a (high-powered?) transmitter can do this. I took readings by my router and they are no higher than anywhere else in the house (sometimes lower). I took an outlet checker and checked every outlet. They are all perfectly grounded and my electrical system is fine. In fact I sleep grounded every night with an electrode connected to a wire and grounded plug. No problems. It's not my electrical system.

#KevinC: so I made an elf loop antenna with some bent up wire soldered to a banana plug. It fits in my mic jack and my spectrum analyzer is just fine with it.

#WAOCB: since this began I have been very ill (vomiting and nausea everyday for months). My great grandmother's pacemaker shorted out (?!) and she had a heart attack. Everyone is very tired for no apparent reason. I've had to be hospitalized for tachycardia and took medication for it. My heart eat went from a dependable 65pm to a new normal of 115 BPm (sometimes up to 200bpm). I used to run mini-marathons but can't run anymore. It sounds unbelievable but this is what is happening. I don't know for sure if it is related.

Additionally, would radar pick up on a microwave leakage detector? I keep detecting microwaves from 0.02-0.06 in my bedroom. I tested every microwave with it and it is 0. My router is 0. I will post a video of this at radiolistener1892.tumblr.com

It's just very strange. I think that someone who is very wealthy may be trying to intimidate me from a lawsuit. I can't find an explanation for this and I'm not saying that is what is going on because I really just don't know. If it is (worse case) any suggestions on documenting this? I think that is the best course of action but I really am just a ham radio amateur. Again, I'm not saying that this is what is happening. My family's ill health and the shorting out of electronics may have nothing to do with this. He just told me that he would give me revenge and I wouldn't like it (I reported him for an ethical violation at work - he was far above me and he got canned. He has a wealthy family however who have ALOT of connections and resources. I keep seeing police cars driving very slowly down the street in front of my house. Again, I'm not accusing anyone of anything. I really just don't know and see it as a remote possibility.

Again, thanks everyone for the replies. I really appreciate it. If anyone has suggestions for reliably documenting this (just in case) I would appreciate it. Thanks everyone!

Jayla,

Please take this in the spirit is is intended, as some helpful advice:
The symptoms you are describing could be from one of any number of sources other than radio waves. Based on what you have said about what happened at work, I'd be willing to go out on a limb and suggest that what you are experiencing is stress and/or anxiety. The symptoms of exposure to strong RF fields are more flu like. RF radiation exposure results in body tissue heating. The levels needed to cause this are pretty high, and would be very difficult to pump into your home without some large equipment and antennas.

If you buy a bunch of electronic devices off the internet and go searching for something, you will eventually find it. Same goes for the internet in general, if you go searching for a problem, you are going to find it. Going into this with just information you've found on the web isn't going to result in very reliable numbers. There is a lot of bad information out there on the web, some of it is just dead wrong. The issue is that people go looking for an easy cause to their problems, preferably something external to themselves or their family. People who run some of these sites on the internet know this and use the fear to make money. This isn't a good combination.

Sounds like your symptoms are frightening, I don't blame you for feeling that way, it would frightened me too. What I'd strongly caution against (if this was someone in my family) is to turn the computer off. Stop searching for external causes for these issues. You -will- find people that will claim to know the causes and be more than willing to take your money to sell you electronic devices that are claimed to help you find these issues. I saw this happen locally when the local utility rolled out smart meters. There was a whole lot of fear going around, and a lot of people with zero background in RF started buying these cheap "RF Radiation" meters off the internet. They all suddenly became radiation experts. I have real calibrated RF test equipment, items costing in the tens of thousands of dollars, and knowing how to use it correctly, I could never duplicate what their Chinese internet meters were claiming. I'm not trying to make you feel foolish, it sounds like you have some very legitimate concerns and health issues, and that is something you need to take seriously. You need to stop focusing on just RF and EMI related issues, chances are that isn't the issue. The information you are providing isn't supporting that, however the info isn't very supportive one way or the other as it's confusing to even those of us who work in the industry.

I'd really recommend taking a break from all this and finding a way to relax. If you can go to your doctor and talk about your stress levels, he/she may be able to help. You may find that reducing your stress will help quite a bit. The fact that your grandmother has heart issues is certainly a source of stress and anxiety. Your job sounds like another source also. Really, from what you've described, I'd suggest checking into other sources of your health issues. Stress is one of the big ones, but there can certainly be others. Only a real Medical Doctor can tell you for sure.

"Shorting out" isn't a very useful term. It's extremely unlikely that your grandmothers pacemaker shorted out, even if it did, RF radiation would't be a very likely source Pacemakers are designed to last for years, but they do have batteries that will run down over time. I think my brother in law was told that his would need to be replaced in 10 years, maybe sooner. Pacemakers won't stop heart attacks either, they are designed to help the body maintain a healthy heart rhythm. Heart attacks are caused by obstruction of blood flow to the heart muscle, and this isn't caused by pacemakers or RF radiation.

It really depends. A microwave leakage detector isn't a very precise instrument. Microwave ovens work at 2450MHz. Radar works on many different bands, some below and some well above the frequencies used by ovens.

I hope you don't feel like I'm making light of your situation. I've had some very scary health issues in the past, and I know what it feels like to be stressed out. I just hope you don't get to focused on RF as a possible source for the issues you are experiencing, there are so many other sources. If you get too focused in on one possibility, you could easily miss the real root cause.

Jayla,

Please take this in the spirit is is intended, as some helpful advice:
The symptoms you are describing could be from one of any number of sources other than radio waves. Based on what you have said about what happened at work, I'd be willing to go out on a limb and suggest that what you are experiencing is stress and/or anxiety. The symptoms of exposure to strong RF fields are more flu like. RF radiation exposure results in body tissue heating. The levels needed to cause this are pretty high, and would be very difficult to pump into your home without some large equipment and antennas.

If you buy a bunch of electronic devices off the internet and go searching for something, you will eventually find it. Same goes for the internet in general, if you go searching for a problem, you are going to find it. Going into this with just information you've found on the web isn't going to result in very reliable numbers. There is a lot of bad information out there on the web, some of it is just dead wrong. The issue is that people go looking for an easy cause to their problems, preferably something external to themselves or their family. People who run some of these sites on the internet know this and use the fear to make money. This isn't a good combination.

Sounds like your symptoms are frightening, I don't blame you for feeling that way, it would frightened me too. What I'd strongly caution against (if this was someone in my family) is to turn the computer off. Stop searching for external causes for these issues. You -will- find people that will claim to know the causes and be more than willing to take your money to sell you electronic devices that are claimed to help you find these issues. I saw this happen locally when the local utility rolled out smart meters. There was a whole lot of fear going around, and a lot of people with zero background in RF started buying these cheap "RF Radiation" meters off the internet. They all suddenly became radiation experts. I have real calibrated RF test equipment, items costing in the tens of thousands of dollars, and knowing how to use it correctly, I could never duplicate what their Chinese internet meters were claiming. I'm not trying to make you feel foolish, it sounds like you have some very legitimate concerns and health issues, and that is something you need to take seriously. You need to stop focusing on just RF and EMI related issues, chances are that isn't the issue. The information you are providing isn't supporting that, however the info isn't very supportive one way or the other as it's confusing to even those of us who work in the industry.

I'd really recommend taking a break from all this and finding a way to relax. If you can go to your doctor and talk about your stress levels, he/she may be able to help. You may find that reducing your stress will help quite a bit. The fact that your grandmother has heart issues is certainly a source of stress and anxiety. Your job sounds like another source also. Really, from what you've described, I'd suggest checking into other sources of your health issues. Stress is one of the big ones, but there can certainly be others. Only a real Medical Doctor can tell you for sure.

"Shorting out" isn't a very useful term. It's extremely unlikely that your grandmothers pacemaker shorted out, even if it did, RF radiation would't be a very likely source Pacemakers are designed to last for years, but they do have batteries that will run down over time. I think my brother in law was told that his would need to be replaced in 10 years, maybe sooner. Pacemakers won't stop heart attacks either, they are designed to help the body maintain a healthy heart rhythm. Heart attacks are caused by obstruction of blood flow to the heart muscle, and this isn't caused by pacemakers or RF radiation.

It really depends. A microwave leakage detector isn't a very precise instrument. Microwave ovens work at 2450MHz. Radar works on many different bands, some below and some well above the frequencies used by ovens.

I hope you don't feel like I'm making light of your situation. I've had some very scary health issues in the past, and I know what it feels like to be stressed out. I just hope you don't get to focused on RF as a possible source for the issues you are experiencing, there are so many other sources. If you get too focused in on one possibility, you could easily miss the real root cause.
Quoted for truth...

OP, the above is the correct answer. There are not any EM or RF signals that are causing your string of unfortunate luck and bad health. There are millions of people who work in the electronics and radio broadcasting fields that live long and normal lives.

Good luck.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I wasn't going to join this thread, but wow...

HUH???? antenna in the MIC jack????

It's just very strange. I think that someone who is very wealthy may be trying to intimidate me from a lawsuit.
Uhhh ok..

I agree, this thread has a high concentration of tin foil...

And can someone from the board explain why this posters post count is staying at 0????

fxdscon

Premium Subscriber
And can someone from the board explain why this posters post count is staying at 0????

Posts made to the Tavern don't count in a members posting count.

If a member has only posted to the tavern, and nowhere else, the post count will remain at zero.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Posts made to the Tavern don't count in a members posting count.

If a member has only posted to the tavern, and nowhere else, the post count will remain at zero.

Ahh, didn't know that.. Thanks.:D.. Just looked kinda strange...

I keep picking up radar(?!) signals in the 5hz-20,000hz range.

So am I misinterpreting this?
Oh yes, big time.

It very clearly looks like radar to me. Could someone give me some advice or insight on this?
You're definitely unqualified to judge what is and isn't radar. That's my advice.

I took two different emf detectors (one on my ipad and one that is used by professionals) and took some measurements. They both agreed. I have very high DC emf in my house (up to 80mG DC at times). I usually have below 1mG AC in my house (0.03-0.07mG AC - perfectly normal). Here are pictures of my readings: Untitled
I don't see any 80mG readings in those images. I see 50-60 uT DC, which lies in the normal range (25-65 uT) of the Earth's magnetic field when measured at ground level. In fact, 80 mG sounds rather low, since 80 mG is only 8 uT, isn't it? Frankly, you don't seem to be making any sense at all.

I sleep grounded every night with an electrode connected to a wire and grounded plug.
OMG. Wait a sec - you're trolling, aren't you?

Hey, check it out - I connected an ELF antenna (aka my finger) to the mic input and when I zoom in on the lower frequencies, I pick up radar signals! Now sure, some would say that it's just the AC power system at 60 Hz, plus full wave rectifiers at 120 Hz, along with harmonics at 180 Hz, etc., but I think they're just the ones behind the conspiracy.

Whoa, what's this?? When you zoom in on the low end of the spectrum, the display gets blocky, nay, it gets DIGITAL! But I'm feeding ANALOG signals into my mic input! Unless... No, it can't be... My entire world is digital! I'M IN THE MATRIX!!!11!!1

What's that? You think I'm being paranoid? Jayla, look in the mirror...

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.