Speech to Text

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuck22

Premium Subscriber
Has any of you guys tried using a Speech to Text Software to copy down what Edmonton Fire Dispatch is saying? I was planning on trying the same thing with Vancouver Fire Dispatch who have gone with the Autovoice.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Well, it is a standard voice, for every agency that uses it.. so there shouldn't be much deviation in the signal, so once you train it (if necessary) that such-and-such a word means this or that, then it should be pretty stable.

I heard that Locution (the manufacturer of the autodisp system) had to actually do a casting call for a second woman to do the voice. For whatever reason, the first lady they used couldn't carry on, and they had to find someone with a similar voice to match, so that updates to existing customers would sound right!

stuck22

Premium Subscriber
I tried using a recording of our auto voice with the default Windows XP Speech to Text program. It came out total jibberish. I will have to train the program to the voice, but its hard because you need certin words to train it.

redhelmet13

In Locution's instance, as NJay said, they have a human voice(sort of)... Actually it is contencated speech - syllables, consonants, vowels put to gether using a "dictionary" stored in the machine qhich is generating the "voice". In each station another machine has a simular dictionary with the same software to announce the dispatch in the station.
Fort Worth FD uses Locution - from what I have heard from the users of the system, it is faster, not always able to ddecode what the address is from the CAD but it gets them out of the house and one of the TRO at the alarm office will update them over the air with the address once they are responding.

SCPD

QRT
I tried using a recording of our auto voice with the default Windows XP Speech to Text program. It came out total jibberish. I will have to train the program to the voice, but its hard because you need certin words to train it.
dont give up, I tried something similar in Edmonton, It took a while, got it too work pretty well. Most of the time 98% copy.

I think I was using Drgaon Dictate or something like that via a sound car too a radio shack scanner

stuck22

Premium Subscriber
I tried using the Windows "Speech to Text" but after recording as many words as I could it still came out complete jibberish.

SCPD

QRT
I tried using the Windows "Speech to Text" but after recording as many words as I could it still came out complete jibberish.

I just did another test here in Edmonton. I used Dragon NaturallySpeaking ver 9.0 My first run had 90% copy, playing around for a few minutes got it up to 95%

I did try using windows "Speech to text" I had similar poor results.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Yes - eventually after the CAD upgrade and the other major things on the go, like the provincial ambulance dispatch function (which is supposed to be announced at the end of next week now), a new alerting system will be implemented for both Calgary and its rural partners. Locution will be the one picked, so it will sound/function like Edmonton's and Vancouver's.

Status
Not open for further replies.