Spotter Roll Call!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa3toy

Spotter Roll Call

I am AAE14 - North East Anne Arundel County, MD
Former Sub-Net coordinator for Anne Arundel County Skywarn.

Kurt WA3TOY

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
Skywarn Spotters

Skywarn trained 23 years ago... Getting active again after retiring last summer. Maybe Mother Nature will provide some entertainment this summer.

codblackops2

Premium Subscriber
Basic Skywarn Spotter and CERT Team Leader here in N.W Florida Panhandle. Just took my basic last year and missed the advanced last fall. Hoping to catch the advanced classes this year and also trying to get my Ham Licenses this year too.

ToDaMax

Premium Subscriber
Skywarn Certified Spotter and Storm Chaser 5 Years and still going.

It's the wonder of nature, baby!

wa3toy

Skywarn Training

It is my understanding that as for now the NWS is not doing any Skywarn training due to the Government budget cuts. This is an unfortunate situation that hopefully will be rectified in the near future.

Respectfully;

Kurt WA3TOY AAE14
Former Sub-Net coordinator Anne Arundel County, MD - Skywarn

KG4EMJ

B.S. meteorology/climatology 2001 and I go to Skywarn classes for fun. It's true that budget is keeping them from offering many classes now, but they are doing a lot of stuff online. So if you're interested, contact your local NWS office and ask for the Warning Coordination Meteorologist and they can give you the scoop.

Took the class the other night, looking foward to thunder season. Not looking foward to prying my little magmount antenna off thr AC every time there is lightning and/or rain, however.

:D

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Took the class last week with my wife. We live in a very rural area so the instructors were particularly interested in getting reports from our neck of the woods where they have very few trained spotters living. (We're in the southern Adirondack Park.) Eyes on the ground were emphasized throughout the presentation.

I noticed some reports of limited or no classes in 2014. Whatever caused that seems to be reversed. NWS Albany, NY has two or three classes scheduled every week out until the beginning of June. They've already done 6 of them. One class is scheduled in each county served by this office, usually as part of a local ham club meeting.

The ham clubs around here all seem to have ARES or RACES nets established with weekly testing although the advent of cell phones and social media appear to be nibbling into the value of these nets, at least from a SkyWarn point of view. (The overall value of ARES or RACES is a debate best left to another time and another forum. My comment is strictly aimed at this forum's topic.) However, there are counties here in the Adirondacks where the value of the nets remains very high due to limited infrastructure, low population density, and geographical constraints.

Status
Not open for further replies.