Springfield, MO Uniden BCD436HP Users

APK-1

Springfield, MO Uniden BCD436HP Users!

How is your performance in Springfield, MO with the Uniden BCD436HP?

0hNiner

I have been using the BCD436HP in Springfield, MO for about 3 years now and haven't really experienced any obvious simulcast issues (distorted or garbled transmissions) since the migration to MOSWIN. It may just be the luck of location for me. I live a mile or so east of Hwy 65 and Division, and work near that area as well, so most of my listening is from there.

I primarily monitor SPD, GCSO, FD, and EMS and the one thing I have noticed is it seems like traffic is down 20-30% as compared to before the migration on those groups. I update my favorites lists (using Sentinel) regularly so I'm confident I am not missing any freqs/IDs that I was monitoring before - other than the few that are now encrypted. I'm still using the same antenna setup so, I guess it's conceivable I'm missing some transmissions due to simulcast -or- maybe they shut off one of the eastern towers I was getting before -or- maybe I actually listened to the now encrypted stuff more than I thought before the migration.

I'm not as savvy or experienced as most on this forum so I have not spent a ton of time tweaking the more advanced setting of the radio yet. But, thought I would go ahead and share my experience with the BCD436HP here in Springfield in case it may be helpful.

Ensnared

There are two from this manufacturer that are geared for 700/800 MHz:

Alinco REM-842S Remtronix Flexible HT and Scanner Whips | DX Engineering

SMA VHF/UHF/800 MHz REM-842S REMTRONIX Triband antenna | Scanner Master

I love this model as well, but it is prone to bending if you are not careful.

Alinco REM-810S Remtronix Flexible HT and Scanner Whips | DX Engineering

I strongly recommend Remtronix. It makes a great deal of difference when compared with the stock antenna. I also recommend that you buy the SMA male version.

0hNiner

As an update to my previous post about my experience with the BCD436HP here in Springfield, MO...I took the plunge and picked up a SDS-200 a couple weeks ago. WOW!

Appreciating this thread is about the performance of the BCD436HP, I won't go into just how awesome the SDS-200 is but, rather offer my experience using both over the last couple weeks.

Sitting the two units side by side, both with their stock antennas, and identical favorites lists loaded from Sentinel, there was marked improvement in what I was receiving - quality and quantity - on the SDS as compared to the 436. I'd say the 436 only pulled in about 80-90 % of the conversations the SDS did. Probably another 5% of the time, when they both locked on a channel, audio would come through on the SDS but would not on 436. It would just be dead air on the 436.

I still maintain the 436 is a really good radio but, at least based on my experience here in Springfield, it is outmatched by the SDS200 by quite a margin.

APK-1

I have been told the SDS100 and SDS200 had I higher level of technology to deal with the effects of simulcast distortion than the BCD436HP . The only way to know is to do what you did, side by side device running at the same time. Thanks for the update 0hNiner!

KA0KDW

I’ve used both a SDS 100 and 436 Mo ole in Greene county. As long as you’re within 3-5 miles of one of the 7 sites on the simulcast the 436 works no issue. Once you leave that radius is when you’ll start to notice issues. This has been confirmed as well by some troopers wotu older scanners ajd a MSHP field tech who had a 436 for a short while.

KA0KDW

Two are Springfield one republic. One walnut grove. One ebenezer area. One fair grove. And one off chestnut and 125 highway. The two in Springfield. One is on monastery street near republic road. and one I think is near SPD HQ area.