SQUELCH problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nc59ham

Premium Subscriber
I have two Pro-197 scanners set up identically with all updates and frequencies. One of the radios is now stopping on two conventional frequencies when no transmission is being made and the squelch is open as if turned all the way counter clockwise although it is not. Turning the squelch control clockwise makes no difference and the only way to resume scanning is locking out the frequency. The two frequencies that this occurs on have no CTCSS and the display says search. I am assuming this is a mechanical problem with the squelch control but am curious if any others have experienced this problem and if there is a easy fix. Thanks

typesix

Is it possible that the two freq are broadcasting the carrier wave but not actually talking(like an open mike)? That may be the problem, does this scanner have a sound squelch option? If so, enabling it could eliminate this problem.

nc59ham

Premium Subscriber
Negative on the carrier wave and I'm not quite sure what you mean by the sound squelch option. Since this is occurring in only one of the two scanners I'm thinking maybe the squelch control has maybe gone bad. Thanks for your reply

typesix

Sorry, misread that only one of your PRO-197s is acting that way. Sound squelch is user enabled option on my PRO-2004 that will skip open carrier waves, didn't know how many other scanners have that option.

RickS31

Always glad to hear this solution worked as well. Another sometimes quick fix for noisy/non-functional pots is to turn it quickly from end travel to end travel a couple of dozen times. This may clear the schmutz off the carbon trace as well. But, a pot cleaner always works the best if you can get to the control and get the stuff into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.