• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

ST-2 and coax

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have 4 ST-2's in my attic (best antenna ever!). I have been using RG-6 Quad Shield on them for years, in 2 different homes with great results.

Has anyone here used other coax types like RG-58 or RG-8X on an ST-2? Good, bad, indifferent?

My runs are roughly 25-30 feet so.

Many years ago I used to use RG-58 coax for my base scanner antennas but found it to have too much loss especially at the higher frequencies. Like you, I now use RG-6 QS with much better results compared to RG-58. At 400 MHz RG-58 loses 11.2 dB per 100 feet vs. 4.3 dB for RG-6. That calculates to 2.6 times greater loss at 400 MHz. At 900 MHz RG-58 is much worse with a loss of 20.1 dB per 100 feet compared to 6.0 dB for RG-6. That calculates to 3.3 times greater loss at 900 MHz. Even with your relatively short runs of 25-30 feet as you posted, you would still be losing quite a bit of signal especially at UHF and higher frequencies.

To get the most out of my RG-6 QS coax I use high-quality F compression connectors like the cable/satellite TV companies use. If you prefer, you can also use an RG-6 QS BNC compression connector on the scanner end of the coax to avoid having to use an F-to-BNC adapter.

rbm

I use RG-6 to five ST-2's and my runs are around 100'. (and a number of other antennas as well)
BUT, I have pre-amps right at the base of each of them.

I use good quality RG-6 with solid copper center conductor and compression fittings.
(I've never tried quad shield RG-6)

If there's any RF in the air, I can receive it just fine.

I've tried Belden 8214 and then 3/4" hardline.

But with pre-amps at the antennas, I saw no difference at all over the RG-6.

Rich

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
I use RG-6 to five ST-2's and my runs are around 100'. (and a number of other antennas as well)
BUT, I have pre-amps right at the base of each of them.
I use good quality RG-6 with solid copper center conductor and compression fittings.
If there's any RF in the air, I can receive it just fine.
I've tried Belden 8214 and then 3/4" hardline.
But with pre-amps at the antennas, I saw no difference at all over the RG-6.
Rich

What type of amps are you using at the antennas?

I have a compression tool and connectors so I might get a spool of RG6QS to replace the pre-made lengths I have there now. (I can actually work in my attic this time of year here...)

rbm

I use PPC EX6XL compression fittings.
I buy them by the 1,000's ;)

You can see the results in this post:
http://forums.radioreference.com/co...87-best-cable-w-f-connectors.html#post2515001

Most of my pre-amps are RF Bay, Inc LNA-1000
The one I use for lower frequencies and SatCom are the LNA-580. Also from RF Bay.
You can find them on ebay.

And, for ADSB etc.....
I use several Mini-Circuits ZQL-1900MLN amplifiers
http://forums.radioreference.com/sp...plers/252680-p25-uhf-pre-amp.html#post1850155

And SatCom on an ST-2 using a USB dongle and SDRSharp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYquhQQ4fvs

Rich

Edit: All using RG-6 coax.

Status
Not open for further replies.