ST-2 & home made Balun

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
I was wondering if anyone knew how to make a balun for the Antennacraft St-2 Its seems to me the transformer that comes with it is junk. The threads where the coax connects seems to be loose on mine. Sloid Signal wants me to send the whole antenna back but don't have the box and it would be a pain for me to ship it back. I was thinking of makeing a balun out of coax but not sure how many turns in the coax and what size should the coils be. Any Help?

Jakemcgraw

kb9hgi said:
I was wondering if anyone knew how to make a balun for the Antennacraft St-2 Its seems to me the transformer that comes with it is junk. The threads where the coax connects seems to be loose on mine. Sloid Signal wants me to send the whole antenna back but don't have the box and it would be a pain for me to ship it back. I was thinking of makeing a balun out of coax but not sure how many turns in the coax and what size should the coils be. Any Help?
I had a problem with my ST2 balun, last year when i bought one..Call antennacraft. they will usually send you a new part right out.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
thanks for the inputs. Has anyone tried this antenna with straight coax connection and no transformer (balun)

N1BHH

The feedpoint impedance is around 300 ohms. That is the reason why there is a balun in the first place. If you want to connect coax to it directly, you can have better luck connecting to the main vertical members and cut out the matching stub and secondary dipole. The feedpoint impedance should be close to 60~75 ohms.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
I had a problem with my ST2 balun, last year when i bought one..Call antennacraft. they will usually send you a new part right out.

Antennacraft told me I have to send the whole unit back to Solid Signal. Well i don't have the box and it would be a pain trying to get packaged up. Plus cos me more money shipping it back. I be better off selling it for scrap and know better to buy anymore antennacraft junk again.

walterb

Premium Subscriber
Radio shack's is about $6. Online I've seen them for less than $1. However shipping will cost you more.

You can get them just about anywhere for less--WalMart, Meier, Lowes, Menards, hell even Farm+Fleet here has them!! Even if you have to pay $6, that's still less than shipping the bloody thing to Antennacraft.

Jakemcgraw

Antennacraft told me I have to send the whole unit back to Solid Signal. Well i don't have the box and it would be a pain trying to get packaged up. Plus cos me more money shipping it back. I be better off selling it for scrap and know better to buy anymore antennacraft junk again.

That's odd..just for the sake of calling, i tried and asked if a friend can get just the Balun part of the antenna from them instead of sending the entire thing back, because he has a defective part, they said it was no problem,,maybe you just spoke with the wrong person.

digitalanalog

I'll buy your Junk SC2. Contact me....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.