St Thomas PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
They were using BP, then switched it to EP... Then turned it off over a year ago. Turned it back on today.... I haven't checked to see but I'll assume EP again.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Interesting.... I wonder how they wrangled that considering TRBO AES is supposed to be very difficult to pry from Motorola in North America. Must have done some high level complaining about EP not working very well.

gary123

I cant see a PD doing a upgrade like that under the table. Moto is not releasing AES TRBO to "public domain" users. Someon must have pulled a bunch of strings or maybe its a pilot program to start phasing in AES for municipal services??

slicerwizard

a) It's a joke. Sheesh...

b) Creative materials not covered by copyright (public domain)? Wut?

Edit: Dayton reference was a joke. AES usage is real and confirmed.

Last edited:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
It was said before that AES could be purchased by public safety agencies when applied for in writing stating their case why it was needed. In this case, St Thomas bought a new system a few years ago with the full intent of it being 'digital and secure'. They messed around with EP more than once only to have unsatisfactory results (EP has many well known issues including missed transmissions etc, which are obviously crucial the the public safety world). From what I've read elsewhere AES doesn't seem to have these downfalls, so I'm guessing that's what they or their radio provider did. Got ahold of Motorola and said look.... we were promised a secure system and EP doesn't work. What can you do for us? Case stated.

Not sure why they are so anal about it. Hytera has no issues selling it (Canada Border Services Agency in Niagara Falls recently rolled out a Hytera DMR Tier III system with full AES).

Status
Not open for further replies.