St. Thomas Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

papa_p

St. Thomas Police have switched over to a digital radio system.

142.125MHz
DMR
Slot 1 and Slot 2
Colorcode 1

Both Time Slots are encrypted.

Last edited:

hounddog1956

yeae, that really sucks, just did a copy and paste from police website..
8.3 Secure long term radio system solution for the Police Service
Research the concept of a combined Police/Fire Communications
Centre in the new Police HQ.

hounddog1956

Implementation of a new secure digital radio system that
will service the long term needs of the Police Service
.that was in the new 2016 to 2018 business plan

moonbounce

are you sure they are using 142.125? Been listening to that since 1500 hrs and I haven' t heard a peep.

MB

papa_p

Yes 142.125, there have been encrypted transmissions all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

papa_p

are you sure they are using 142.125? Been listening to that since 1500 hrs and I haven' t heard a peep.

MB

If you have this CTCSS programmed in, it will be silent unless that tone is transmitted and the are not using CTCSS so your squelch will not open.

papa_p

A lot of scanners block encryption.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Only using basic privacy... that's somewhat surprising. And the CC is 7, not 1.

Nevermind, I lied. It is CC 1.

SCPD

QRT
I bet Aylmer will be encrypted soon, they usually had Aylmer patched to St Thomas, maybe there is some technical reason for why they can't turn on the encryption just yet.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
They dropped that patch when Aylmer went to Owen Sound for dispatching... but I agree, it's odd they aren't using anything. Perhaps once they are satisfied with system operation, coverage etc it'll get enabled. Or maybe it won't! Who knows haha.....

nextel

So I take it st thomas being encrypted mean I can't listen to it on my scanner

Sent from my SM-G730W8 using Tapatalk

hounddog1956

well older scanners are now garbage now, i bought a new one recently, that sucks, can,t get aylmer or st thomas police or st thomas fire department, well at least can listen to OPP and ambulance and elgin county fire dispatch

nextel

They dropped that patch when Aylmer went to Owen Sound for dispatching... but I agree, it's odd they aren't using anything. Perhaps once they are satisfied with system operation, coverage etc it'll get enabled. Or maybe it won't! Who knows haha.....
I don't think so with aylmer looking at changing to the opp if the price is right in the next year in a half or longer

Sent from my SM-G730W8 using Tapatalk

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
also curious about database for st thomas police, there is a freq for simplex 139.800, not sure what that is there for?

Because it was submitted at some point? Many agencies have simplex channels they use for various things... Anything from surveillance to events where they just want to stay off the main channel (ie traffic control for public events etc etc). Hard to say if it's still in use.

moonbounce

Because it was submitted at some point? Many agencies have simplex channels they use for various things... Anything from surveillance to events where they just want to stay off the main channel (ie traffic control for public events etc etc). Hard to say if it's still in use.

I will find out on Sunday as I will be in St Thomas all day and will have a radio with me, I will let you know what I find on Monday.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Basic Encryption for Basic People.

I wonder what their thinking was. Basic Privacy isn't secure in the slightest. It would take someone with a DMR radio all of 2 or 3 hours to figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.