St. Thomas PS - DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
They turned the encryption off within a day or two of going live on the new system. Everyone was complaining about the audio quality... Which makes no sense to me as basic privacy shouldn't affect audio quality.

Only if you install a discriminator tap and use DSD+.

I'm a bit of a layman when it comes to this sort of thing...

Can you explain to me more fully exactly what a discriminator tap and DSD+ is please ??

I've got an old Realistic Pro 2024...

Is that unit any good or too old and do I have to upgrade to listen to St. Thomas police these days ??

If you could private message me that would be great and we can discuss further !?

Thanks you for your help Forts !!

They turned the encryption off within a day or two of going live on the new system. Everyone was complaining about the audio quality... Which makes no sense to me as basic privacy shouldn't affect audio quality.

Do we know they were using Basic Privacy and not Enhanced Privacy? Motorola admits in their MOTOTRBO System Planner (2.7.4 Effects on Performance) that using Enhanced Privacy reduces voice quality.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I'm a bit of a layman when it comes to this sort of thing...

Can you explain to me more fully exactly what a discriminator tap and DSD+ is please ??

I've got an old Realistic Pro 2024...

Is that unit any good or too old and do I have to upgrade to listen to St. Thomas police these days ??

If you could private message me that would be great and we can discuss further !?

Thanks you for your help Forts !!
A discriminator tap lets you take raw unfiltered audio and pipe it into your PC. From there you can use DSDPlus (digital signal decoder) to decode the audio so you can listen to it. There are tons and tons of threads on here that will give you more details. The tap requires a physical modification to your scanner.

mciupa

Database Admin
Well that is the hardware you will need, along with a decent antenna. But, you will also need DSDPlus software in conjunction with the dongle.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Yes that should do you just fine, even with that antenna. I've got a similar one and it works fine. As mentioned you will just need to grab DSD+ and you'll be all set.

Status
Not open for further replies.