Standard Cars for Police Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n5ims

The village of Northbrook, Illinois in the mid 60s, had their entire department fitted out using the standard yellow/checker taxi 4 door model.

biomedbob

kf4br

Chicago PD also had some copcar dot com - The home of the American Police Car - Photo Archives

It appears that a police package was one of the standard lines for Checker Motors. While they're best known for taxis, they also sold to the public and as this flyer proves, to police departments Checkers as cop cars? at Hemmings Blog: Classic and collectible cars and parts

vinzep491

All I know if is someone offered me a Changer to ride around in all day, I would not give two craps about worrying if I had the hemi or not.

I'd feel awesomely fantastic as it were in EITHER model

:):)

ut expecially in a campus enviroment, HEMI is so unneeded

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
Bicycle cops are fairly common in cities/towns with large public parks, heavy foot-traffic "strips", conservation land, or public [paved] bike paths to patrol. Generally speaking, this has little to do with budget cuts. ;)

DickH

And what does all this have to do with scanning? (This is the General Scanning Forum).

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
A little town in South Jersey called Medford Lakes used to have diesel powered VW Rabbit patrol car back in the early 80's. It was the most rediculous cruiser I ever saw. I wish I had a picture of it. I outran it on my moped several times!

Confuzzled

Yonkers PD cars used to be painted taxi yellow, I don't remember if they were checkers or not.

Seems like I remember a few Canadian cities that used yellow cars. With a big red gumball mounted on a bar.

Similar to this, but in different versions:

1324373.db8f67b8.560.jpg

Last edited:

SmitHans

So.... the university I go to they just got 5 2012 Dodge Chargers but they're just the SE standard one? I see that the ones for police use have the gear shifter near the dash well these ones have it near the center council? How can they use these for police cars? Is it cheaper for them to buy these vs. the pursuits ones? OK THanks

Alot of times, university police departments will have non-police package cars for the simple reason that they were given some cars from the state motor pool - the same fleet that other non-police gov't agencies get their cars from.

mjbjr

We had the sheriff department running 4 wheelers up and down the roads and interstates for a short time.

Status
Not open for further replies.