Stark County Ohio

captmud

If i remember OSP donated radios to massillon pd to use on the county system. There were old radios not P25. They will not work with Marcs. Also i heard the county towers were being turned over to marcs.

astronuts

The Day Ave. tower site was a conversion from Stark/Canton System to the new MARCS system, it's not a new site but a retrofit. Some of the county's sites are being decommissioned as they are redundant while the others will be converted.

I've seen the final approved fleetmap, and from the last meetings I know about most dispatch will be in the clear. There will be a lot more talkgroups with encryption that officers can use when necessary. There was a lot of support from the top down that normal dispatch should be in the clear for officer safety. Hopefully this holds true. Funding sources are a mix of grant money, bonds, and individual department contributions.

Nasby

Great info Astronuts!
Hopefully, law dispatch stays in the clear.
Any word on when they may up and running on the new system?

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
Great info Astronuts!
Hopefully, law dispatch stays in the clear.
Any word on when they may up and running on the new system?
I was hoping that the Stark County Simulcast would let units access the system, but as of this morning all were getting denied. It is a very powerful signal and it will be a very active tower....

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
If i remember OSP donated radios to massillon pd to use on the county system. There were old radios not P25. They will not work with Marcs. Also i heard the county towers were being turned over to marcs.

If OSP donated them they're very likely good for MARCS; OSP bought a whole fleet of dual-band (700/800+UHF) APX7000 portables and has been donating their old XTS5000 portables to departments around the state. Several departments in the Columbus metro area got them, too.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I was hoping that the Stark County Simulcast would let units access the system, but as of this morning all were getting denied. It is a very powerful signal and it will be a very active tower....

It's likely still officially in testing status; there are a whole bunch of testing steps that have to be done, including failsoft, site trunking and so on. On top of that Motorola usually sends a truck out with testing equipment to check and make sure bit error rate (BER) is under a certain level. A bunch of guys running around saying "can you hear me now" isn't even a tenth of it.

Once all that done and the county accepts the test results, it will probably be opened up to more users.

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
It's likely still officially in testing status; there are a whole bunch of testing steps that have to be done, including failsoft, site trunking and so on. On top of that Motorola usually sends a truck out with testing equipment to check and make sure bit error rate (BER) is under a certain level. A bunch of guys running around saying "can you hear me now" isn't even a tenth of it.

Once all that done and the county accepts the test results, it will probably be opened up to more users.

Good point. Thanks for the information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

astronuts

Testing is done and the system is up and running. Those departments already on MARCS will start transitioning later this month. Then the remaining departments will make the transition over November and December. The new system is MARCS, but Stark's system is a little different and is still simulcast for the county's talkgroups with a different controller. Supposedly Canton PD dispatch is going to be in the clear!

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
MARCS-IP in progress and on air tower sites.
http://www.das.ohio.gov/Portals/0/D...hnology/IS/MARCS/MARCS IP MAP 2016 120716.pdf

That's quite an old PDF and doesn't really reflect the state of things currently.

The Stark County Simulcast is online (but not active for the masses to use yet - - just in testing).

The RR Database itself reflects a more accurate picture of what's going on on MARCS than likely any PDF you'll find on the internet.

MARCS IP DB: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6643

And the MARCS site map: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?action=siteMap&sid=6643&type=rr

Mike

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
RR map doesn’t show the the in progress sites (black dots) in Stark & Summit counties.
I would look at the map itself not the revised date in the corner as someone didn’t update that but did the map.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks for the heads-up, Tom. Very active with the typical existing MARCS users. Just so people understand, none of the Canton-Stark system users are on it yet. But the new simulcast is "live" with MARCS users and is very active. Sounds pretty great down here in Carroll Co.

mike