Stark County Ohio

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
FYI,

The Canton, Cloverdale (Massillon) and East Sparta sites are now using their alt control channel as their primary. This is because their primary control channels (774.45625, 773.20625 and 772.95625 respectively) are now active voice channels on the simulcast.

Mike

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
I expected a better signal for only being 40 miles away.
2d9303f62d9368b0012692c047332719.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
Several users active:

EMT Ambulance (Still Encrypted)
American EMS
OSP
ODOT
ONDR
Indian River Prison

Last edited:

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
Getting a good deal of affiliation from neighboring counties:

Wooster FD
Wayne County Sheriff
Wayne County OSP
Tuscarawas County OSP
Carroll County Sheriff

Last edited:

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
EMT & EMS use to be open not long ago No ??

American EMS has always been clear and still is

EMT Ambulance has always been encrypted and still is. Their owner has some paranoia about his competition knowing what his units are doing.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I just heard the radio folks call Motorola Helpdesk and let htem know that they were shutting down the three individual sites (Canton / Massillon / East Sparta).

And as I watch DSDPlus I am seeing all three sites go into failed/isolated mode. So indeed they are shutting down those three standalone sites. Don' tknow if they are doing it for testing, or if they are shutting them down for good.

Mike

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
I just heard the radio folks call Motorola Helpdesk and let htem know that they were shutting down the three individual sites (Canton / Massillon / East Sparta).

And as I watch DSDPlus I am seeing all three sites go into failed/isolated mode. So indeed they are shutting down those three standalone sites. Don' tknow if they are doing it for testing, or if they are shutting them down for good.

Mike

I am no longer getting control channel on Canton or East Sparta

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
Well that would suck if they just go down to one “Stark County” tower.
Better pump up them watts to transmit 30 miles instead of the 20 currently

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Well that would suck if they just go down to one “Stark County” tower.
Better pump up them watts to transmit 30 miles instead of the 20 currently

They aren't using one tower. They are using 11 sites in a simulcast configuration, and adding a standalone site for Minerva coverage. And it's not intended for people from Youngstown to monitor. It's intended audience is Stark Co (and at the most the very fringes outside of Stark Co).

Mike

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
No sarcasm in you two is there.

I receive Canton/Stark P25,Summit County P25 & Parma / Medina County / Ottawa County that’s 65 miles.
So that’s telling me the power isn’t all there.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
No sarcasm in you two is there.

I receive Canton/Stark P25,Summit County P25 & Parma / Medina County / Ottawa County that’s 65 miles.
So that’s telling me the power isn’t all there.

Either that or you are using a scanner that doesn't support LSM and are having difficulties decoding it because of that.

But, even if power is down (from the view of somebody over towards Youngstown), that doesn't mean there is something wrong. They specifically would not want any more of the signal to get to Youngstown than necessary. Like I said, you aren't the intended target of the signals. Stark Co and agencies on the fringe of Stark Co in other counties are the target audience. Especially in simulcasts, they really seem to try and limit how far the signal extends beyond the intended footprint. They want the signal concentrated inside the county, with as much in-building coverage as possible. So they use various means (directional antennas, and probably downtilt) to accomplish that.

With that said, I can barely pick up the Canton-Stark Motorola Type II system from here, but I have a 35+ dB signal +- on the new P25 simulcast. From my standpoint there is no lack of power to the south.

Mike

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
I hear that.
Like I said earlier most of Stark County MARCS I get from the Salem tower.
That being said my house a Yagi line up just South of Akron.
Would think I would get a better signal out of the Stark Tower.
NOT at the least complaining hell me picking up Medina is good in my eyes if I was still at home I would wait until someone transmitted but this was from a video on my cell from July 4th when someone blew off his fingers while playing with fireworks.
The signal is ridiculous being 65 miles.
Yagi is the antenna to get if ya want the most out of a scanner in my eyes.
780502248cdb5b8865ab476a131807f0.png

eng645

Stark County

So the the Canton, Cloverdale (Massillon) and East Sparta towers will no longer have a control channel you can lock on and check the signal strength? I am able to lock on the Day Ave tower to check the signal strength.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
So the the Canton, Cloverdale (Massillon) and East Sparta towers will no longer have a control channel you can lock on and check the signal strength? I am able to lock on the Day Ave tower to check the signal strength.

Correct,

Standalone MARCS-IP sites of Canton, Cloverdale, and East Sparta are gone. Those sites are now part of the 11-site simulcast for Stark County.

You are not locking onto the Day Ave tower for anything. Stark Co Simulcast is just that, a simulcast. 11 tower sites using the same frequencies, carrying the same exact traffic, and totally synchronized with one another.

That means one set of frequencies / one site -- "2-063 Stark County". Your scanner isn't locking onto one site. The vast majority of time it's pulling in the signal from multiple sites simultaneously. That's why scanners other than a Uniden SDS100 will sometimes have issues decoding the simulcast.

Mike