• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Starting out, I have no idea what to do.

So, i am thinking about trying to set up a scanner for all talkgroups in Snoqulamie and North Bend, (police, fire, ems) but i don't know if i need an analog or digital trunking scanner, or what talkgroups i need for fire and ems, also if i can get just Snoqualmie and North Bend, or if i have to have other areas as well. i also wouldn't mind opinions on cheaper scanners that would work. (probably $150-ish).

devicelab

AFAIK, North Bend is only VHF conventional. Snoqualmie is on the larger trunking system --> KCERS. I'm presuming local fire/ems is probably on KCERS as well but not 100% certain.

You have a several options but it just comes down to how much you want to spend.

The cheaper option is a BCT-15x (base/mobile) scanner @ $180 which will let you monitor the KCERS and NB PD; however, since it's analog-only, it won't let you monitor WSP.

The middle option is a Uniden 325P2 which is more expensive but will at least let you monitor digital traffic and should last a lot longer than the BCT-15x. The 325P2 is a handheld unit and the 996P2 is the base/mobile version. They are roughly $370 and $450 respectively.

The above options can be programmed with Freescan -- a free programming application -- that works very well for these scanners. Programming can be a bit tricky if you've never done it before -- but there are videos on YouTube showing how to program these scanners.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
A lot of stuff has moved or is moving to P25 Phase II systems, such as WA SP. I bought the BCD996P2 for my dad in Pierce County and that works great for him. Unless you get something (used) for less than $100, I wouldn't buy anything less that P25 Phase II capable.

code3kid

Premium Subscriber
Aren’t Snoqualmie PD-North Bend units dispatched on the Snoqualmie PD talkgroup because it’s technically the same department ?