state patrol/general information

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairypeaches

I live in NW Iowa in an area that borders Minnesota, Is it true that things are changing due to about everything going digital in February of next year? I used to get the state patrol but I lost it some time ago when they changed. I assume that once the digital for tvs becomes in effect that other things will also be changing and you will no longer be able to pick up anyone using your scanner. How true will this be?

nathan

Last edited:

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
First off, Please remove your e-mail address as people are able to reply to you here...

The 2009 DTV Transition has nothing to do with radio comms... only broadcast television...

As far as the state of iowa going digital, IDK, I have not heard anything about it (not that i'm in the know or anything)

hairypeaches

state patrol

I saw a thread some where on here where people could not get, unless they could not find state patrol information for scanning. They claim that because of going digital, they have lost them. I thought I had lost what I had but found that I haven't yet except medical which I have found the frequency change here. I also found here a few frequencies I wanted but never found them to use like fire. Here is my deal. I will do my best to take off my e-mail address, but in the mean time I wonder if you can help me. As I said, I used to get the state patrol but I believe that a change has been made and I no longer get the patrol. Would there be a way I could get the state patrol back?

On another note, I was watching channel 4 news last night out of Sioux City, and they were interviewing a man by the name of Vance Phlantz who owns his own electronics store in Sioux City. He says that when television goes digital in 2009 you will see a clearer picture and hear more of what would be like sourrand sound from your television. Vance also said in the interview that this will also help emergency personal as well. That had me thinking, that if everyone is going digital that we would loose listening to those people as we have because our scanners would not be equipped to take on the digital signal. By then how would we be able to adjust and keep up? I assume that is why I have already lost the state patrol.

nathan

hairypeaches

I live in Okoboji, Iowa area which is also apart of another whole name called the Iowa Great lakes region. Close in this region is lake park, superior, Spirit Lake, Okoboji, Arnolds Park, Milford and terril. The county is Dickinson. Those are the towns in this county. I used to get Clay county a few years ago as well but since they were crossing over the frequencies line here they upgraded so that, that would not happen. I do have a few papers that I received from the Radio Shack in Spencer for about 25 cents a paper and not much has changed on those except a 2 meter. They used to carry police call and beyond police call till they combined into one book and now they stopped making them. I did see on here that you can get digital scanners, and I imagine that by 2009 you will half to use those in order to listen further like you do now. That would be because right now, my scanner uses an antenna to receive things in. I wonder what the cheapest scanner would cost. without the newest one by February 19, 2009, you will not be able to receive anything. That means that for now you can receive signals till the change happens on that date when it becomes law as well for tv's.

Don_Burke

hairypeaches said:
I live in Okoboji, Iowa area which is also apart of another whole name called the Iowa Great lakes region. Close in this region is lake park, superior, Spirit Lake, Okoboji, Arnolds Park, Milford and terril. The county is Dickinson. Those are the towns in this county.
Here is a link to your county:

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=814
hairypeaches said:
I used to get Clay county a few years ago as well but since they were crossing over the frequencies line here they upgraded so that, that would not happen.
It does not appear that Clay county did anything unusual, so you may have lost them for other reasons.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=805
hairypeaches said:
I do have a few papers that I received from the Radio Shack in Spencer for about 25 cents a paper and not much has changed on those except a 2 meter. They used to carry police call and beyond police call till they combined into one book and now they stopped making them.
Anything you could get from Police Call or Beyond Police Call, you can get online, mostly at this site.
hairypeaches said:
I did see on here that you can get digital scanners, and I imagine that by 2009 you will half to use those in order to listen further like you do now. That would be because right now, my scanner uses an antenna to receive things in. I wonder what the cheapest scanner would cost. without the newest one by February 19, 2009, you will not be able to receive anything. That means that for now you can receive signals till the change happens on that date when it becomes law as well for tv's.
Not true.

The change to digital TV will not affect radio communications.

There may be some radio systems changing to digital at the same time.
That that is purely coincidental.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
hairypeaches said:
I live in Okoboji, Iowa area which is also apart of another whole name called the Iowa Great lakes region. Close in this region is lake park, superior, Spirit Lake, Okoboji, Arnolds Park, Milford and terril. The county is Dickinson. Those are the towns in this county. I used to get Clay county a few years ago as well but since they were crossing over the frequencies line here they upgraded so that, that would not happen. I do have a few papers that I received from the Radio Shack in Spencer for about 25 cents a paper and not much has changed on those except a 2 meter. They used to carry police call and beyond police call till they combined into one book and now they stopped making them. I did see on here that you can get digital scanners, and I imagine that by 2009 you will half to use those in order to listen further like you do now. That would be because right now, my scanner uses an antenna to receive things in. I wonder what the cheapest scanner would cost. without the newest one by February 19, 2009, you will not be able to receive anything. That means that for now you can receive signals till the change happens on that date when it becomes law as well for tv's.

AS I said before... The 2009 DTV Transition has nothing to do with public safety communications except that it will relieve some interference in certain bands...

hairypeaches

finding out

how did you find out that only some radios may go digital when the change happens?

I may still upgrade to digital just in case but I wonder what the cheapest cost would be to get one. Thank you for the update. I was there in a previous search and found all of the frequencies there for my county. If I find it again, I may see what clay county has and try to put in some of each. It appears that some of what I have from Radio shack, may not be listed on here but shall see.

Nathan

hairypeaches

getting parts

is it easy to get parts for a scanner? I have a small problem with mine depending on how you look at it. I have a wire that goes from the inside to the speaker. For some reason when it was not working right I found that I was not getting any sound. Right now I have found that it is loose and that I have tape over the wires so that the sound will come thru. I sometimes half to move the speaker around a bit to get the sound. I didn't think that I had anything there for a while but after several days and turning it back on I found that it was working right as I could hear things I thought I did not have. I may need to solider the wires to the scanner so it will work right and see if the cover can be put back on. This is my second one, because the one I had that my grandfather had eventually died. I only had it a few years. Not worth repairing so I used again the one I had back in 1991 or 93 that still runs that my folks gave me as a gift. The only thing I do not have that I used to is the state patrol.

nathan

hairypeaches

buying a new scanner

if I can get a new scanner for 30 dollars, I might be able to get one for free or nearly free. I have 3 checks that are from the Spencer Iowa chamber office that are worth 10 dollars each. I have until June to use them or I will half to get them reissued. The one I have works and may still work if I can keep the wires on the speaker. Otherwise I will see about getting a new one. Not sure why I can't get the state patrol. Thanks for the website.

nathan

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
the 2009 transition ONLY AFFECTS TELEVISION SIGNALS... And not even all of them... only boradcast tv signals... not cable or satellite.

I dont understand why that is so difficult for you to comprehend.

Don_Burke

hairypeaches said:
how did you find out that only some radios may go digital when the change happens?
There is no date for radio to change to digital.

There is a date for terrestrial television broadcast to change to digital.

Some radio systems may change to digital at about the same time television does.

JLM7424

Ok i used to live in Dickinson co milford,, ISP is still Analog !!! their is digital /Apco25 on the car-2-car frequencie now, you are in District # 6 ISP Headquarters are in spencer,IA
just goto the databse page http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=618
at the top you'll see maps and codes theirs 2 maps that show how the state is broken into regions & Districts .Choose yours or just program them all.

hairypeaches

a word of thanks

wow thank you for the update. I will take a closer look at that. Now I will have a way to know how to get there.

nathan

hairypeaches

I have another question. I have a paper that shows 2 meters Spencer storm watch besides other frequencies. Then I received another paper that had an update or another frequency for 2 meters. Would there be a page or something that would show all of the 2 meters you can use? Thank you.

nathan

hairypeaches

2 meter

It appears that what I had or have is not listed here. I have Spencer storm watch 2 meter, 2 meter sp lake & storm watch and an 2 meter spencer storm watch with a different or updated number. I was able to get that along with other frequencies on a paper from Radio shack in Spencer. I assume t hat what I have is the newest and only ones there are for this local area and maybe sourranding areas. for what you sent me to see I assume that that is all that is listed.

nathan

Status
Not open for further replies.