• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

State Police and County Police CB usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The CHP CB antennas I've seen on the commercial enforcement trucks is always been a Firestick antenna.
Are you sure that isn't from CalTrans or someone else?

Could be CB, that would be interesting. Haven't see a full sized whip on the CHP cars in a long time. Our local sheriffs office used to have low band whips on the sergeants cars solely so their scanners could hear the local CHP dispatch.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
Nope. It was the old black and white crown vics (before the explorers). I’ve also seen the fire sticks on them. My thinking is on the crown vics is that they are on their last miles and are used as spares in the motor pool. I don’t see them often, maybe once or twice a month at best and only on 99. I’ll see an occasional fire stick on an explorer but it’s super rare (maybe they help out with the commercial enforcement guys). I know it’s rare enough that when I see it, it surprises me.

It’s only in Kern county that I see them. I drive as far north as Sacramento, west to the ocean and all the way to the Sierra foot hills, and the only place I see them is Kern. I chalk it up to all the truck traffic going through there. I never hear them on it, but I see the antennas.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
I’m not going through there any time soon, but I’ll try and get a pic if I see one. I figure that by time I cruise through there next summer, the last of the crown vics will be gone and probably the older explorers too. I thought about trying to pick one up at auction when CHP dumps them.

kc8kek

Ohio

Ohio is beginning to move away from it, but I actually made contact with a trooper about five years ago on channel 9. When you enter the state on major freeways, signs are still posted at the state line
"State Highway Patrol Monitors CB-9, KNN-3083."

Motor carrier enforcement still has them, but lately only about half of the cruisers still have antennas. They use the Larsen NMO low bands tuned for 27MHz.

Edit: it's still posted on the web site and brochure. Scroll to the bottom of the second page:
http://statepatrol.ohio.gov/doc/Post Brochure.pdf

Last edited:

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Wisconsin State Patrol are still installing CBS in some vehicles mainly Commercial Vehicle enforcement, but some patrol units have them as well in areas with more interstate coverage.

They are all using glass mount CB antennas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.