Static on digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.

djs9164

I don't know if this belongs here but here goes. The belt clip on my 1088 broke and my scanner took a bit of a fall. I thought everything was fine but now sometimes I experience a weird static on P2 comms. When this happens my analog trunk is a bit more static and conventional FM are barely audible. Now here is the kicker. Sometimes the radio works fine. Do the question is can this just be normal ( the weather has been cloudy) I also am monitoring in a big city Boston MA, or do you think maybe something got damaged in the drop. Any comments or suggestions are most welcome. TIA.
D

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

troymail

Silent Key
To be clear, you are saying you are hearing "static" on "P2" (P25 Phase 2 digital?) comms?

Static on digital doesn't make much sense other than if you are receiving garbling, data, and/or encryption.

Static on the analog system and conventional (non-digital) is common although it sounds like since the "fall", you are hearing more static on analog than before.

Overall, however, it does sound potentially that the "fall" may have damaged the antenna and/or connector. On the other hand, you could just be experiencing some interference which is typically very obvious with analog activity.

Did you try removing the antenna and looking at the connector and antenna pin (middle of the connector)? That pin and the connector on the radio itself are the easiest to damage. Do you have any other antennas you can try?

djs9164

To be clear, you are saying you are hearing "static" on "P2" (P25 Phase 2 digital?) comms?

Static on digital doesn't make much sense other than if you are receiving garbling, data, and/or encryption.

Static on the analog system and conventional (non-digital) is common although it sounds like since the "fall", you are hearing more static on analog than before.

Overall, however, it does sound potentially that the "fall" may have damaged the antenna and/or connector. On the other hand, you could just be experiencing some interference which is typically very obvious with analog activity.

Did you try removing the antenna and looking at the connector and antenna pin (middle of the connector)? That pin and the connector on the radio itself are the easiest to damage. Do you have any other antennas you can try?
Tried 2 different Radio Shack 800 MHz antennae. Yes the static ( more of a whine) happens when listening to Boston's 700mhz P25 site on the Comm of MA system. No distorting all morning sitting in car. New batteries. Maybe coincidence maybe damage. Unsure.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.