Static...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc2142

Feed Provider
So i The scanner im having issues with is Radio Shacks 20-405, Ive also got a Realistic Pro-2023 scanner. They both get interference on the fire channel, And the fire channel only. Am i doing something wrong here or? The scanners are in different rooms. I have foil on the the 20-405 scanner, and it dosent really help, Should i try an external antenna? Ive thought about making this one, http://forums.radioreference.com/bu...67-my-homemade-off-center-dipole-antenna.html I just want the static to go away, And half the time i dont hear the full conversation either. Heres the fire feed: Mountain Home Volunteer Fire And heres the police feed: Mountain Home City Police, State Police, and Elmore County Sheriff and EMS

Heres a archive thats from today with the bad static: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46370133/201612041456-716139-24438.mp3

Last edited:

Engine104

Member since 2005
I listened to the first couple of minutes of the audio file. There seems to be two things going on: 1. It sounds like some intermod on the repeater output. The squelch tail sounds a little long, which can mean the receiver is trying to stay open because it is hearing a weak signal getting mixed in. 2. The units seem to be dropping out of the repeater occasionally. However, the people they are talking to seem to be able to copy them alright. That's kind of weird. What kind of radio system is this? It is trunked? Is it digital? Is it just Mountain Home PD and FD or are there other agencies using the system? Multiple transmitter sites, maybe?

Anyway, I'd say the dipole is worth a try as far as the interference problem goes. You can try rotating it to see if you can null out the interference.

sc2142

Feed Provider
I listened to the first couple of minutes of the audio file. There seems to be two things going on: 1. It sounds like some intermod on the repeater output. The squelch tail sounds a little long, which can mean the receiver is trying to stay open because it is hearing a weak signal getting mixed in. 2. The units seem to be dropping out of the repeater occasionally. However, the people they are talking to seem to be able to copy them alright. That's kind of weird. What kind of radio system is this? It is trunked? Is it digital? Is it just Mountain Home PD and FD or are there other agencies using the system? Multiple transmitter sites, maybe?

Anyway, I'd say the dipole is worth a try as far as the interference problem goes. You can try rotating it to see if you can null out the interference.
No it's not trunked I think it's analog I'm not completely sure, it's just the FD channel that has the issue. I'll get the parts and build the antenna and see if that fixes the issue and will post an update.

Engine104

Member since 2005
I took a look at the model scanners you mentioned and they are analog and non-trunking.

Is the FD on a separate frequency from the PD? I assume so. My guess is there is some intermod or maybe an internal birdie that is causing the interference. The dipole is somewhat directional, so you may be able to rotate it to null out the interference and still hear the FD. If it is a birdie, which is a result of internal noise coming from the radio, you're basically out of luck. I don't think that is the case as these are different RS models, but you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.