Status San Bernardino-Riverside Trunked Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I tried to look this up on the thread search, but didn't seem to find an answer. I will be traveling to California a couple of times this fall to visit family and friends. I'm doing a lot of programming in anticipation of the trips. I'm wondering what systems to include for San Bernardino. Are the multiple numbered analog systems still in use or is the new P25 system up and running? Maybe they are in transition as the number of frequencies and sites listed under the P25 system don't seem numerous. Also, is it really going to be a Phase 1 digital system? Is encryption likely on the P25 system?

It looks like I should not bother programming Riverside county as it is a Phase II system and even if I had a Phase II scanner encryption is the rule and not the exception, correct? Is the switchover to this new system done? Also, it looks like fire is all on VHF due to the contract with CDF.

I worked a short temporary assignment at Joshua Tree NP back in 1992 before there were any trunked scanners on sale. I was trying to monitor Riversides new trunked system, an EDACS if I remember. The system had this "anti scanner tone" at the end of each TX so the scanner would hang up and not move to another frequency quickly making it hard to follow anything. So Riverside has been anti scanner for a long time.

allend

Premium Subscriber
All of the San Bernardino County Analog Systems are still in full use in the Clear

The new P25 SBDCO system is pretty much fully encrypted. Dont bother.

Riverside County PSEC Phase II system is fully encrypted. Don't bother either.

Cal Fire and Riverside County fire is all in the clear in VHF.

Good Luck. This will probably be your last trip so you can hear SBDCO LE in the clear.

All of Law Enforcement in SBDCO and Riverside County is either encrypted or will be fully encrypted within the next year or two

allend

Premium Subscriber
RRU-3 EAST DISPATCH 151.13 CTCSS 94.8Hz
RIVERSIDE RVC CMD 9 154.175 CTCSS 167.9Hz
RIVERSIDE RVC CMD 10 154.755 CTCSS 167.9Hz
RIVERSIDE RVC CMD 12 154.8 CTCSS 167.9Hz
PALM SPRING (DISPATCH) 154.355 CTCSS 123.0Hz
CS FIRE DISPATCH 154.415 CTCSS 131.8Hz
FISH & WILDLIFE 151.43 Search
OCOTILLO WELLS 857.125 DCS 115
MERCY AIR 155.22 CTCSS 127.3Hz
AMR MED NET-4 155.205 CTCSS 110.9Hz
CHP (RED) BASE 42.44 CTCSS 179.9Hz
CHP (RED) MOBILE 42.28 CTCSS 179.9Hz
CHP (RED) EXTENDER 769.1687 NAC Search
CHP (RED) EXTENDER 769.6812 NAC Search
PSP TOWER (VHF) 199.7 Search
PSP TOWER (UHF) 377.05 Search
PSP CLEARANCE 128.35 Search
PSP GROUND 121.9 Search
CHP BRN BASE 39.34 CTCSS 162.2Hz
CHP BRN MOBILE 42.3 CTCSS 162.2Hz
BLM ADMIN NET 166.375 CTCSS 103.5Hz
BLM FIRE NET 166.4875 Search
ISD RANGERS 169.7125 Search
BLM LAW NET 166.75 Search
CHP COPPER BASE 39.26 CTCSS 118.8Hz
CHP TURQUOISE 39.68 CTCSS 118.8Hz
CHP BEIGE 39.88 CTCSS 118.8Hz
BDF NET D 171.475 CTCSS 103.5Hz
BDF NET R 171.475 Search
BDF ADMIN 172.225 Search
BDF SERVICE 164.125 Search
BDF IA AG59 169.1125 Search
BDF IA AG53 168.4875 Search
BDF AIR TAC 36 164.875 Search
BDF AIR TAC 33 164.1375 Search
JTNP LAW P25 171.675 NAC Search
JTNP LAW ANALOG 171.675 CTCSS 146.2Hz
JTNP OPERATIONS 171.675 CTCSS 100.0Hz
JTNP LAW 172.675 Search

SCPD

QRT
Thank you! I have a friend's program to get me started. I just need to update it. I'll make a comparison of what he has for VHF and your list. I'm new to this website and wow, I asked a question and got more info than I expected.

scottyhetzel

Thank you! I have a friend's program to get me started. I just need to update it. I'll make a comparison of what he has for VHF and your list. I'm new to this website and wow, I asked a question and got more info than I expected.

If you add the Joshua tree park chuckwalla repeater (top of mountain @desert center) you can hear them from Blythe... crazy far.

Chp Blythe units handle from Colorado,river to rice road. Indio units from rice road (desert center) to highway 62 near whitewater 10 freeway north Palm Springs . Lot of units filling up at the cal trans office in desert center...that where they turn around and make the loop.

Check out all the new PSEC towers along the 10 freeway as you head into Indio...

Check out the new Direct current sub station in desert center on the south side i of freeway...SCE runs from Blythe to Perris.

Allend left out CDF Command 4, rru-3 151.130 pl 88.4 (desert center to Blythe)

My favorite when arriving in San Bernardino. LAPD hotshots.....reminds me why I never want to live in LAPD areas.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Thank you scottyhetzel! I know about the multiple frequency, multiple repeater, multicast single net system going in at JOTR. This is Park Service lingo for that park. The NPS abbreviation for a unit uses the first four letters of a park with a single word name, like Yosemite is abbreviated "YOSE" or uses the first two letters of parks with a two word name, like Joshua Tree being abbreviated at "JOTR" Lake Mead NRA had the abbreviation of "LAME" for decades and its a hard place to work because of the heavy workload and the people working there did not see the humor of being called "Lame." Management changed it to "LAKE."

A lot of large parks are building such radio systems so that everyone is able to hear everything on the net no matter what part of a park they are in. Simulcast systems don't work so well in rugged topography so more frequencies are used so each repeater has its own pair. In some parks there is a single input freq. for all the repeaters. That way, when you are in an overlap area for two repeaters you don't have to guess which one is the best to use cause the computer figures it out for you. Neat too cause you have a single channel in your radio for the net and don't have to choose tones for each repeater. It's complicated to understand, but it's real simple, "radio for dummies" for the user. Want to talk on fire net? Turn the dial with the numbers to #3 and push to talk. Want to talk on the med net, turn the dial to #2 and push to talk.

Grand Canyon is building (slowly) a system with a fire net, admin net, med net, law net and tac net. Each net has a single input frequency and are linked into a voter. On the rims of the canyon picking a repeater is not real difficult, but once below the rim it is often hard to figure out which repeater to use. The voter eliminates the guess work and reduces the amount of radio traffic. No more "you aren't readable on Hopi, try Desert View" traffic. I'm hoping that with a tall mast and amplified antenna that I will be able to pick up Hopi or Desert View from west of Flagstaff and hear everything going on in the park, except for the LE net, which is encrypted. I don't care for digital though, people don't sound that way when you talk to them face to face. People sound like themselves on analog.

PSEC, what's that? Oh, I see above that it is the Riverside County system. Are you saying I should look for the towers themselves when driving along I-10? The two trips I have planned don't involve anything south of Cajon Pass or west of Palm Springs, I've lived at some remote parks for quite some time and I think my "city legs" have atrophied. Future trips across the California desert include the Bishop area where I have a friend, another retired "parkie" and a retired "Us Fuss" (USFS) friend north of there. They tell me that the route from Kingman to Reno is the quickest, but then I don't want to have to drive through Las Vegas, so I plan to go the Barstow route to see them.

Southern CA Edison, I don't have a Phase II scanner so I won't be listening to them. I'm trying to figure out Arizona Public Service over here. They boom in from Elden and Bill Williams, but I'm still trying to figure out their talkgroups.

Between everyone on Radio Reference and friends I think I'm going to figure out the Arizona and California radio systems. When I left Flagstaff in the 70's I was still buying crystals.

Status
Not open for further replies.