• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Staying home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many of you are simply staying home this holiday weekend because you just can't AFFORD the gougingly high gasonline prices?

We are.

Steve/KB8FAR :confused: :mad:

Airdorn

Premium Subscriber
I heard the democrats voted in congress to sue OPEC!

That's the kind of solution we need! NOT :)

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
We stayed home, but not because of high gas prices. Every year when Memorial Day nears, we do our thing the weekend before. This beats the traffic jams, higher cost of gas any year, more expensive motels, crowds, etc. Then for the Memorial Day weekend we hang out at home, grill steaks and just relax.

The wife and I were discussing weekend trips and gas prices. We like to go to Michigan's Upper Peninsula, which is about 280 miles. My SUV gets about 25MPG on the highway, so I use roughly 11.2 gallons of gas one way.

If gas was only $2.00/gal is would cost $44.80 round trip. Today at $4.00/gal the same trip would cost and additional $44.80, or twice as much. For a three day weekend, $44.80 is not a deal breaker. I don't like it, I'd rather not pay it, but I would not cancel my plans because of it.

We look for less expensive motels, and restaurants to help offset the additional cost of gas.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Airdorn said:
I heard the democrats voted in congress to sue OPEC!

That's the kind of solution we need! NOT :)

How are we going to sue OPEC? :lol: Typical politics...blowing in peoples ears, telling them what they want to hear. :roll:

SAR923

A survey with over 46,000 responses on CNNMoney found that 81% of those who responded planned on staying home this Memorial Day weekend. That includes me. :)

GreatLakes said:
How are we going to sue OPEC? :lol:
Hmmm... In what court shall we file out suit?
If we sue them for not kowtowing to our demands, will that tick them off?

If OPEC is pi$$ed at the USA for "trying" to sue them, what will become of their production?

Less oil = higher prices.

STUPID MOVE democrats of congress, or am I repeating myself?

Oh yea, the only time I started the truck was to pull it in the driveway to wash it.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
SAR2401 said:
A survey with over 46,000 responses on CNNMoney found that 81% of those who responded planned on staying home this Memorial Day weekend. That includes me. :)
It's difficult to tell where I live. Normally there is always a high amount of traffic, but this weekend it's really been quiet. I don't know if everyone went out of town, or if they're staying home, as in literally not going anywhere at all.

scannerface27 said:
i never thought id see the day gas is $4.05 in california...????? somebody needs to do somthing wilson whats gas in ohio?????
$4.05 in California? Try $4.19 here in the Seattle area....for regular.

Of course, that station is a known gouger, but still. They're selling diesel at $5.29 a gallon there.

Ohio prices...

scannerface27 said:
i never thought id see the day gas is $4.05 in california...????? somebody needs to do somthing wilson whats gas in ohio?????
We're bouncing all over the place. Some stations are at $3.89 and others are at $4.19 (and they are the SAME company)....

It is simply insane!

When I was in high school I worked at a Union 76 station. We were selling for around $0.46 a gallon in the late 70's. I never thought I'd see gas at $3.00 a gallon, but, we've beat that by a long shot!

Diesel is going for around $4.58 a gallon....

Steve :confused:

Last edited:
GreatLakes said:
Same here in S.E. Michigan. :confused:
I'm with you in SE MI GreatLakes...about $4.19 regular

But as to the original topic, I must be one of the few who IS traveling. I'm making a trip into Canada to see my buddy from high school. However, gas prices don't affect me as much since I drive a 45 MPG motorcycle.

I'm not going anywhere, but I never do. I don't like crowds much. We had pork chops on the grill Saturday night and bratwurst on the grill tonight. No crowds in my back yard.

Chris

We are staying home this weekend because I have to work, but we are going camping NEXT weekend! Will probably miss all the crowds. Can't wait to take the scanner and the shortwave out and see what I can pick up.

We already live way out in the sticks.
Comfortable camping right here all year long.
The forest is a few steps away, and the river's about a mile and a half down the hill.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"A survey with over 46,000 responses on CNN Money found that 81% of those who responded planned on staying home this Memorial Day weekend."

They sure as heck didn't survey the terrorists... er, tourists that mob this place and won't leave 'till November! Durn bennies, on the boardwalk you can't slide a playing card between them and if you don't have a driveway you have to park your car in the next county and take the bus home. If you DO have a driveway you can expect to find a car with New York plates in it; the dragin' wagon is pretty busy but it'll get there eventually. Forget about enjoying the beach amid the whales and squids stinking in the sun and with all the noise and hell raising I MIGHT get a decent night's sleep come winter.

And the survey SAID... The scanner is hopping with madness and mayhem; combined with the on line cameras it's not exactly HDTV but it's better entertainment.

Welcome to the Jersey Shore, now BENNIE GO HOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.