Step by step vpn

Status
Not open for further replies.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone help with step by step instructions to set up VPN so I can hear my scanner on my cell phone while I'm away from home? I have added the siren app and it works on my cell when I'm home in range of my network. How to go VPN???

N0BDW

737mech:

Unfortunately the answer is "probably not."

Every network is going to be (at least) slightly different. So the steps that I would take to set up a VPN are going to be different than the steps you would take to set up a VPN, assuming you even have equipment that is capable of such a thing. There are at least potentially a fair number of variables.

But there may be some folks here that can help. They'll certainly want to know what network equipment you have. What router are you using? Is your router also your firewall? Is your modem also a router, or is it just a "dumb" modem? Does your ISP give you a public IP address, or does your router have a private address on the WAN interface?

I

ilken

Can anyone help with step by step instructions to set up VPN so I can hear my scanner on my cell phone while I'm away from home? I have added the siren app and it works on my cell when I'm home in range of my network. How to go VPN???

Don't waste your time it still does not work

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
My suggestion for anyone needing a vpn is to buy a router with vpn support built it. ASUS routers are very good performers and you can get an older model for a great price now.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Your best option is PROSCAN on a pc connected to your scanner running teamviewer 10 or older and teamviewer 10 or older running on your cellphone.

Make sure you set a secure password!!

Someone WILL find your Teamviewer connection using a website like Shodan.io.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
My second job now is security work and I fully follow STRONG PASSWORDS that in no way point to me.
But yes anything connected to the INTERNET or PUBLIC ACCESS should follow STRONG PASSWORDS. Thanks for bringing this point up that it may help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.