HP-1: Still no resolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jyanacek

Deal Island, Maryland, home of the last remaining
I have had a HP-1 since it was first introduced. I have had the same issue since then. I cannot update the firmware from my home because my only available internet connection is satellite based. The update always fails with the error "Updating HP failed. Operation is canceled. The operation has timed out." When I first inquired about the problem I was told "It's a latency issue with a satellite internet connection". I tried Exede internet service also with the same result. So, not a provider issue.

I have to make a 26 mile round trip to the closest (and only) library or a restaurant (the only one) with a wi-fi connection. Why can't I use my satellite internet connection (Hughesnet) to upgrade my firmware? I put up with this for all these years, but now I'm 73 years old and have difficulty driving because of my failing eyesight.

I have had NO problems with any other downloads including streaming Hi-Def movies, multi-megabyte files, upgrades to the firmware of ANY of my other devices. ONLY HOMEPATROL1 HAS THIS PROBLEM!!

So why is this such a problem for Uniden? All they have to do is change the timeout value in the code to allow us poor satellite internet users to update the firmware the same as all the other purchaser of the HP-1 who paid the exact same price as we did, plus the premium price for the EXTREME UPDATE/UPGRADE.OPTION!

How about it UNIDEN...when will you take responsibility for your mistake and take some pity on those of us who don't have another internet access choice but still paid you the premium price you demanded? Should I just advertise this on Bay and buy a scanner from another manufacturer?

By the way, I already own your BC9000XLT and three (3) BC200XLT's so how about some consideration for a faithful Uniden customer for many years.

I suppose you could say, "What the hell, he's too old and we won't get any more money out of him so...tough luck old man. See Ya!" I hope not. Obviously I wouldn't even think about the HP-2 or any later Uniden product. Please help, and don't tell me to ship the unit to you so you can update the firmware! That's not a viable option.

I really don't expect to get any help from you, but thought I'd give it a shot. Who knows, maybe you will take pity on a Senior Citizen.

If you have cellular service and have access to a smartphone that can be configured as a wireless hotspot, you could try connecting with your computer through the smartphone. This may work or find another workaround. Don't give up, there are others (including myself) past 70 that manage with what we have to work with.

kas1263

I have Excede/WIldblue Internet service and I am able to download both firmware and RR data without any problems for my 436. Maybe something else is the problem?

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
My Dad has Excede and has no problems updating the x36 version of sentinel. I'm thinking there's a problem somewhere else.

Jeff.

JamesO

What version Sentinel are you currently running and what version firmware is currently running in the HP-1?

Can you successfully update the Master HPDB?

jyanacek

Well, I have tried this over the years with two Dell desktops running two different versions of Windows, Another different model Dell desktop with a faster motherboard. A Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows 7, Windows 7 Ultimate, and Windows 10. I have tried with Wildblue, Hughesnet, Exede, then Hughesnet again. I have downloaded and installed Sentinel several times including the latest versions.

NONE of that worked! BUT, I could at anytime, take my laptop to the library and update WITH ZERO PROBLEMS OR ERRORS! Am I not being clear here?

Where's the Unidenman response?

N9JIG

Sheriff
The current firmware for the HP1 is 2.06. If your firmware is already there then you are all set.

If not follow these instructions.

1) Download the below linked file to your computer.
2) Copy it to the Firmware folder on the SD Card of your HP1.
3) Disconnect the radio from the USB cable and turn on the radio.
4) The radio will update its firmware and you should then be at 2.06

If this link doesn't work try this one, it is a ZIP file so you will need to unzip it first.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18949030/HomePatrol-1_V2_06_06.scn.zip

Last edited:

JamesO

Do not use the first DropBox link.

Funny how none of my questions were answered!

Latest version is not an answer.

jyanacek

Oh-oh....

Well, I downloaded and unzipped the file, copied it to the Firmware folder, disconnected the cable. The radio said it was updating the firmware and the red bar proceeded to move across the screen. The screen went blank then came up with the following message:

SD Card Read Error
Remove battery and external
power.
Please format the SD card

Even the power switch doesn't work now.

Ubbe

Yes, it's a SD card problem- Thats why you can't do the upgrade directly from sentinel nor manually.

Try reformat the SD card in a PC using the SD Formater program that you can download from internet. Probably all the recording sessions have worn out the SD card and it is safest to buy a new one.

People say that SD cards will eventually show problems after a certain amount of read/writes. If you have the automatic recording enabled it will happen sooner than later.

/Ubbe

N9JIG

Sheriff
This sounds like the SD Card is corrupt. This can occur for several reasons, the usual one being removal of power when the radio is still on. This corrupt card could well have been the issue all along.

You can reformat the SD card or replace it. Once formatted used the "Clear User Data" item in the HomePatrol menu of Sentinel to setup the card for the radio, update the database and firmware and off you go.

You can also do this from a card reader, you don't actually need the radio itself to create or program an SD Card for Uniden scanners. Just insert the card in the radio when you are done and allow the firmware to be updated after you turn it on.

If you cannot reformat the existing card get a high-quality name-brand SD-Mini card. You can get a decent 4, 8, or 16 GB card for under $10 almost anywhere, I have seen them at drugstores, BestBuy and elsewhere. I bought a couple on sale at my local grocery store a while back.

You can buy pre-formatted and programmed SD cards from scanner vendors as well but they will cost more.

jyanacek

It works!

I removed the batteries and checked the SD card by plugging it into my laptop. All my files were still there and readable so I put it back into the radio and reinstalled the batteries. Turned on the radio and it WORKS! The firmware version is now 2.06.

Thank you so much for the great help N9JIG !!! And all others who responded.

My database version is 01/20/2013. Is there a way to update the database to the current version by the same easy method?

jyanacek

It works!

I removed the batteries and checked the SD card by plugging it into my laptop. All my files were still there and readable so I put it back into the radio and reinstalled the batteries. Turned on the radio and it WORKS! The firmware version is now 2.06.

Thank you so much for the great help N9JIG !!! And all others who responded.

My database version is 01/20/2013. Is there a way to update the database to the current version by the same easy method?

N9JIG

Sheriff
You can run Sentinel to update the database via a card reader. If it works like that and not withing the radio you may have a bad USB cable or port on the radio.

N9JIG

Sheriff
If you have problems updating the SD card when it is in your radio (perhaps due to a bad cable or USB port) you can remove the card from the radio and update it in a card reader instead.

An example is my 536 in my truck. Instead of bringing the whole radio into the house or bringing the laptop out to the garage, I just pop out the SD Card, insert it into my card reader and perform all the updates. I then return the card to the radio.

Another example is a customer I helped had broken the USB port on his HP1 and instead of sending it in for a $100 repair he was able to use his card reader to do the updates.

JamesO

Rather than updating the Master Database with the card in the scanner, you can remove the card, put it in your laptop/computer and/or card reader and update the Master Database outside of the scanner.

You can try to update the Master Database using the Home Patrol Sentinel program and if this does not work, remove the Micro SD card and update it in the computer/SD card reader as mentioned above by running the Home Patrol Sentinel program.

You should be running Home Patrol Sentinel Version 2.03 (revision 02).

Status
Not open for further replies.