• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Still really new to the whole P25 Phase I/II system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaker7

So I'm really new to the P25 system and did read the "So you want to scan a trucked network.." Post pinned to this thread bu tare still confused about it. Is it possible to scan a P25 system using this data (Idaho Cooperative Agencies Wireless Interoperable Network (ICAWIN) Trunking System, Statewide, Idaho - Scanner Frequencies) I would like to scan the local Fire/EMS/Police agencies but they no longer use VHF/UHF. Any help you can provide would be great, Just assume i'm an idiot with the P25 system and 7/800Mhz system when explaining something.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
1) You should probably ask that this thread be moved to the General Scanning forum, as it really doesn't belong here.

2) You can scan and monitor any channel on that system that is not marked as encrypted using any modern digital scanner.

beaker7

1) You should probably ask that this thread be moved to the General Scanning forum, as it really doesn't belong here.

2) You can scan and monitor any channel on that system that is not marked as encrypted using any modern digital scanner.

I meant to scan this network with a Motorola APX or XTS.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Based on your self admitted intelligence level of P25 systems I would suggest buying a scanner. If you really want to use an XTS or APX to monitor a trunked system you need to honker down and start reading all the information out there on how to accomplish this. Its all out there you just need to read up.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I agree with Skypilot007 please purchase a scanner, take the time to learn how this stuff works, then maybe down the road take the leap into commercial gear.

There are many legalities to know when it comes to using commercial gear to monitor a system, plus you actually can do harm to a system and users with out even knowing it.

beaker7

I agree with Skypilot007 please purchase a scanner, take the time to learn how this stuff works, then maybe down the road take the leap into commercial gear.

There are many legalities to know when it comes to using commercial gear to monitor a system, plus you actually can do harm to a system and users with out even knowing it.

Okay will do, do you know any good cheep phase 2 scanner? Also out of curiosity how could someone damage a system? Don't they have ways to stop this?

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
one of the issues is when someone doesnt have authority to access a system. Using someone elses radio ID can trigger the system to lock them both out of the system, so if the user cant use his radio that could put that user in danger. Think of a cop whos radio suddenly stopped working or a FF who cant radio in.
I should have used better wording, sorry for that. Damage wasnt the right word, more like cause problems. Its more likely you will get your radio bricked / stunned. This does happen when unauthorized users program radios wrong.

Narrow down if you want a portable or mobile scanner.
From there you have uniden or whistler to choose from.
Ive been happy with my BCD436HP unit.

troymail

Silent Key
Okay will do, do you know any good cheep phase 2 scanner? Also out of curiosity how could someone damage a system? Don't they have ways to stop this?

"Cheap" is relative but I'd say the answer really is - no. Expect to spend north of $400.... but commercial radio is far more expensive than that.

As far as stopping people from damaging systems - in most cases, it isn't likely that someone having an unauthorized (transmitting) radio can do huge damage to a system (but I am far from an expert on that so others will offer more information there). More likely, from what I've seen - it is possible that if you try to use an unauthorized radio on some systems, your radio will be locked and become worthless (some like the term "bricked"). Again, this is just from what I've read.....

So, I agree -- stick to a (receive only) scanner unless you are an authorized user on a system.

Status
Not open for further replies.