Sting Operation -- Undercover Drug Bust -- NJSP North Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbott1982

Going on now...

Guy they're about to get is coming in from NYC, meeting w/ a SP NARC and then going to sell to the other undercovers in a Walgreen's parking lot.

SP North Branch, Group ID 36336

Channel is pretty quiet now, but it will pick up once the guy arrives.

Funny a townie cop was taking a break in the Walgreens lot, all the SP undercovers freaked out. Had the local police call the unit away from the area so he didn't' spook the guy away from doing the deal when he shows up.

bbott1982

Just radioed the guy is 2-5 minutes out. Tune in now if you want to hear this go down.

GM

Premium Subscriber
In the matter of Public Safety & for our sake of listening in without ENC being in use, I think this type of "breaking news" compromises the operation in a way. Let us focus the "breaking news" on wildfires, MAJOR traffic collisions, HazMat situations, Search & Rescue ops, etc. Agreed??

(Yes I was listening in earlier, but have no need to re-broadcast it to the www).

robocop80

bbott1982,

Good post I was able to listen to this because of you. In my opinion if the criminal was monitoring this website chances are he had his own scanner and he would have known the cops were on him prior to this post. So many bosses in here that are over sensitive again in my opinion.

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
I think a report immediately after the operation would be better and more considerate to the LEO's working out there.

It would be just as interesting to know what you heard and on what TG's/Freq's, and it wouldn't compromise the operation.

I know the chances are slim, that this post on this somewhat obscure website (at least to criminals!) would effect the outcome. However, I could see this thread being printed out and presented to the powers that be when encryption is discussed.

SCPD

QRT
This is the stuff that should be encrypted.

I would have just posted something vague as a title but then you could give the TGID and agency and nothing more.

RatRadio

Premium Subscriber
Sting Operation

Gee, I can't figure out why law enforcement is moving towards encryption and then we all sit around and complain we can't listen anymore. Go figure!

GM

Premium Subscriber
"Gee, I can't figure out why law enforcement is moving towards encryption and then we all sit around and complain we can't listen anymore. Go figure!" - RatRadio

- Right; this is the point I was trying to make earlier, but couldn't spit it out of my mouth at the time.

SCPD

QRT
RatRadio said:
Gee, I can't figure out why law enforcement is moving towards encryption and then we all sit around and complain we can't listen anymore. Go figure!

Although I cannot speak for everyone, but I feel the majority of people here don't have a problem with encrypting surveillance ops and drug busts etc...etc.....

It's the encrypting of the routine patrol activity that people seem to mind. I know I do.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Posts like this:

1. Are irresponsible.
2. Continue to make scannists look like the bad guys to public safety.
3. Potentially compromise future operations and the safety of law enforcement personnel, which I suppose goes hand in hand with #1.

At my website such posts are immediately eliminated and the poster is warned not to repeat the offense, which is listed as part of the FAQ. This is of course not my website, but common sense dictates that such posts should not be made.

Not all departments can afford encryption or even Nextel service. It may sound easy for encryption to be the answer for covert/surveillance type operations, but in the real world it just doesn't happen that way. Also, many departments are sold a bill of good by their vendors that no one can listen to them because of (insert half-assed reason here).

My .02 of course, but IMHO out of respect for departments and the individuals involved in such operations, you should think before posting such information in a public forum; nothing positive comes from it.

Highpockets

res148cue said:
Although I cannot speak for everyone, but I feel the majority of people here don't have a problem with encrypting surveillance ops and drug busts etc...etc.....

It's the encrypting of the routine patrol activity that people seem to mind. I know I do.

I think the Times have changed, years back cops walked the beat, knew the community, the PAL was very active, cops had baseballs, gloves, bats, basketballs, available to the kids who didn't have or couldn't afford them. You looked up to them, and the communication with the locals, parents, and the town was great. Today with video cameras, lawsuits, internet, they are different, they don't have or get the respect the old time cops got. I believe encryption falls into if the public can't hear us, the less they know, the better off we are. And a very small % for the bad guys that have scanners.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
scancapecod said:
Posts like this:

1. Are irresponsible.
2. Continue to make scannists look like the bad guys to public safety.
3. Potentially compromise future operations and the safety of law enforcement personnel, which I suppose goes hand in hand with #1.

At my website such posts are immediately eliminated and the poster is warned not to repeat the offense, which is listed as part of the FAQ. This is of course not my website, but common sense dictates that such posts should not be made.

Not all departments can afford encryption or even Nextel service. It may sound easy for encryption to be the answer for covert/surveillance type operations, but in the real world it just doesn't happen that way. Also, many departments are sold a bill of good by their vendors that no one can listen to them because of (insert half-assed reason here).

My .02 of course, but IMHO out of respect for departments and the individuals involved in such operations, you should think before posting such information in a public forum; nothing positive comes from it.
I agree with this.

bbott1982:
Next time, either don't post, or wait until such operations are over. The intent of the Breaking News sub-forums is not so you can announce clandestine operations.

robocop80:
I personally don't care if you were helped by this thread, if you would do your own monitoring, you wouldn't have to rely on others; in any case your encouraging words are not appreciated in this regard.

robocop80

Lou Mag thanks for your opinion!!! Your 2 cents gave me a whole different perspective on things. Again I said in my opinion so I can really care less how you feel about my comment and if you appreciate it or not, it is my opinion. I will not reply to anymore of your lame comments.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Well I guess I was told.

Okay, let's do this another way; if someone posts about ongoing clandestine operations in either the NJ or Breaking News for NJ forum, I will suspend that persons posting privileges.

Those of you with the least amount of respect for the people laying putting their lives on the line for you, please report such posts so they can be dealt with forthwith.

With that said, there is not much else to be said on this topic; thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.