Stockton PD bleed over 160 miles away

Status
Not open for further replies.

emt_531

I am picking up very clear bleed over from Stockon PD here in the Central Valley......I google mapped it, and the city is 160 miles away.....Its been going on for a few days and all the streets they are talking about correspond to Stockon.......Now my question is, how can I pick something up so clear, so far away? The frequency in question is 460.200 which is also licensed to Hanford PD which I was listening to........

ecps92

Bleed over? You mean on an adjacent Frequencey?

Or, you are hearing 460.2000 on 460.2000 ??

Signals travel quite a distance.

It is probably what we call a band openning or lift.
Usually occurs with some atmospheric conditions.

Skip is for Low-Band, but it's the same principle

I am picking up very clear bleed over from Stockon PD here in the Central Valley......I google mapped it, and the city is 160 miles away.....Its been going on for a few days and all the streets they are talking about correspond to Stockon.......Now my question is, how can I pick something up so clear, so far away? The frequency in question is 460.200 which is also licensed to Hanford PD which I was listening to........

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Are you sure that it is Stockton? I would tend to think another user on the frequency is what you're hearing.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Are you sure that it is Stockton? I would tend to think another user on the frequency is what you're hearing.

It's Stockton. Each of the other 8 licensees on the channel in California is farther away or shielded by terrain. Ducting in the Central Valley of California is a long-established "feature," which is why public safety frequency coordination in California is like playing 3D chess.

Norman

Temperature inversion layers in the Valley, also happens with fog in the winter. It is also affecting reception of my local UHF TV stations, some are just not there.
Norm.

emt_531

Yes it is stockton, every street they name and i google map is a valid street there....

I understand that radio waves can travel some distance with certain weather conditions, but wow this is clear as a bell

kma371

QRT
Is it The P25 signals or analog?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
as norman pointed out - ducting

when you have heat in the valley and then cooling - it creates great ducting

you see it a lot i could always get into repeaters at night that i couldnt even hear during the day

theres a nice ridge about 20-30 miles south of patterson - that has amazing coverage back into sacramento

i can hear chp black and green and gold from below there

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Not Bleedover

Bleedover is where you hear something on the "next channel" of what you are tuned to.

I hear radio traffic pretty much from Merced to Redding in Shasta County. I certainly do not pick up Redding all times of the year. Most of the signals that travel these distances to my ears are VHF. But when conditions are good, the UHF signals are great too, it's just I am not usually scanning them.

A lot of someone's ability to receive under normal conditions is your elevation. If you're "on a mountain top", or the signal you are receiving is being transmitted from a mountain top, you'll be able to pick up farther away. If not, then the conditions like ducting will bring the signals to you, just not reliably and/or consistently.

Status
Not open for further replies.