Stone county Arkansas hi band police scanner frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

I know the answer! When Stone County SO officers say "Switch to high band", what they mean is that they are switching to their AWIN talk group. It is not encrypted, at least, not the last time I heard them.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Correct, most agencies in AR run on VHF High, or UHF and/or AWIN. For them 99% of the time, *High Band* means go to AWIN. Back in the past when VHF Low was actually still in use, it would have meant go to VHF High.

wbswetnam

Occasionally, you will hear the Stone County dispatcher say "Go to digital west", meaning that they are changing frequencies to 155.685, DMR digital mode. The last time I heard them on this frequency they were not encrypted, but you must have a DMR capable scanner to hear them.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
They are kind of an anomaly...like, why have 3 different modes? It's like they have the AWIN tg, which makes sense, the old analog VHF, which makes sense they'd keep it since it was already in place, but why invest in DMR and then rarely use it? It puzzles me that this is the case for Stone Co...but that's how they operate.

I suppose it could be that they are transitioning and hit a financing wall or something...maybe eventually it'll all be DMR but the coverage just isn't there right now or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.