Stream Aircraft AM ATC to Broadcastify using RTL-SDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkneeyahx

Human
rtl_fm will show you a brief error message prior to looping the "no more data" text.
if you enter your rtl_fm command in and quickly do a print screen you can see it before it goes crazy.

pkneeyahx

Human
here's where i'm at so far.

had to
Code:
sudo apt-get install lame

here is the string that i have entered. only 3 freqs for the time being to test.

Code:
rtl_fm -M am -f 121.15M -f 132.95M -f 118.8M -f 128.175M -f 135.15M -f 124.275M -l 65 -g 40 -t 2 -s 8k | lame -r -s 8 -m m -b 16 --cbr --lowpass 4 --scale 16 - - | ezstream -c /etc/ezstream_bcfy.xml &

then it stalls for a couple of minutes (attached screenshot) and then those two lines loop and can't be stopped.

ezstream: Streaming from standard input
ezstream: No (more) data available on standard input

Attachments

• freeze.jpg
    freeze.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 875

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Here is what I use to scan and stream NFM - this scans two business frequencies that I'm using for a private based feed for myself. This uses -d 1 (device #2) which is the 2nd RTL stick in my Rspi

Code:
/usr/local/bin/rtl_fm -d 1 -M fm -f 461.2M -f 461.275M -p 69 -l 65 -g 50 -t 2 -E pad -s 12k 
| /usr/bin/lame -r -s 12 --resample 22.05 -m m -b 16 --cbr --lowpass 4 - - 
| /usr/bin/ezstream -c /etc/ezstream_bcfy2.xml > /var/log/bcfy2.log 2>&1 &

pkneeyahx

Human
Hey Lindsay, thanks for your replies. I finally got it up and running.

I started from scratch again.. lol.. I will check out the wiki and add any edits i see fit.

on the https://github.com/szpajder/RTLSDR-Airband wiki they suggest doing the initial installs without the dongle attached.

anyways, thank you very much for your help and getting back to me. sorry for spamming the thread! :)

krokus

Premium Subscriber
What happens if the default drivers are not blacklisted?

Secondary, what do the default drivers do? (That is not a desired action.)

Sent via Tapatalk

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
From all the traffic I've read about these little SDRs, they can get very warm - and as we all know, excess warmth can sometimes lead to circuit failure. Are you putting a fan or something around them to keep them from getting too warm? Mike

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Like every electronic device, yes, they get a little warm.

My Icom R9500 gets very hot after running it for a while :)

In all honesty, these RTL devices cost 10-20 dollars - if we get a few months of 24/7 operation out of them then I'll just buy 5 replacements and still save the cost of a full time scanner that might also fail.

However, I've now put over 10 RTL devices into use running 24x7 and not a single one has failed. And some are running in some pretty hot rooms right now.

The only downside to the RTL is they are temperature sensative to frequency drift.

DC31

Feed Provider
LIndsay,

Thanks for the good WIKI on how to set this up. I put it on my pi2 and now have it feeding to an icecast server also on the pi. However, I am having difficulty getting good audio to the feed. Sometimes transmissions are just white noise, other times you can barely hear the dispatcher in the background behind the noise. When I plug the dongle into the laptop, it works pretty well with good audio. Is there a trick to determining the frequency correction? Is there a good guide somewhere that would walk me through that part?

Thanks

Jim

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Jim, plug your RTL stick into a Windows computer and run SDR# tuned to 162.550 NOAA Weather radio and center the transmission using the ppm adjust feature. Use that ppm settings going forward with your stick

Ancendotely, I've noticed that the 820T tuner typically has a ppm between 60-70 and the 820T2 tuners are around 50. YMMV though.

drchuck

As I type this, I recently got my RaspBerry Pi2 streaming ADB-S data for aircraft around Orlando. The streamer for the airport communications seems to have gone offline. I'm wondering if I can load RTLSDR-Airband or rtl-airband and run it simultaneously with PiAware. (P.S. working in Kissimmee, but live in Helotes! Just realized you're in San Antonio!)

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
As I type this, I recently got my RaspBerry Pi2 streaming ADB-S data for aircraft around Orlando. The streamer for the airport communications seems to have gone offline. I'm wondering if I can load RTLSDR-Airband or rtl-airband and run it simultaneously with PiAware. (P.S. working in Kissimmee, but live in Helotes! Just realized you're in San Antonio!)

You would need a 2nd stick because PiAware locks the stick to one freq of 1090 but to do the radio scanning you will want it on a different channel or multiple different channels.

Nice thing is the stick are cheap and they just came out with a 2nd gen it looks like.

JACK26

Ok is this the Q&A on how to make a USB SDR dongle work with Raspberry Pi?
I've followed all the directions on this wiki and so far having the same problems with most of the other posters here who have not had the questions answered with a suitable solution so far.

The instructions at this link still does not work for me
:
Raspberry Pi RTL-SDR Broadcastify - The RadioReference Wiki

I have the same problem as the other posters with it does start and logon successfully to my approved feed, but the audio is not fed to Broadcastify and eventually it logs me off again.

I get the same error as above posters:

Tried tweaking on some parameters but so far no luck.
Any suggestions from the Author and founding member of Broadcastify would be appreciated. :)

JACK26

Any suggestions by anyone else is also appreciated as long it is a useful comment and not a snarky response. TIA :).

JACK26

To follow up, this is the exact code I'm trying to execute in a terminal session:

/usr/local/bin/rtl_fm -d 1 -M fm -f 482.863M -l 65 -g 50 -t 2 -E pad -s 12k
| /usr/bin/lame -r -s 12 --resample 22.05 -m m -b 16 --cbr --lowpass 4 - -
| /usr/bin/ezstream -c /etc/ezstream_bcfy2.xml > /var/log/bcfy2.log 2>&1 &

It runs for awhile and successfully logs on to Broadcastify but the feed never works and it soon starts with the looping error posted above.

JACK26

Have been trying to make RPI-3 work with broadcastify for about the last 3 months and so far nothing works. Repeated instructions from the original author/founder of Broadcastify several times with no success. Have not found any website that has a comprehensive step by step solution to actually make that work yet,

Any suggestions by anyone who knows how to make this work is appreciated.

JACK26

One other question, I also installed Icecast and SnowCast on the same RPi-3 and it seems to work. Is there a way to use Icecast instead of EZstream for this application? i.e. Streaming audio to broadcastify from the raspberry pi's standard audio output.

JACK26

Sorry for all the posts but this issue has been very frustrating. There is absolutely no comprehensive instruction on the internet on how to make an RPi with no external sound card to feed a USB SDR dongle's audio to Broadcastify. Nothing I've found online works so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.