• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Streaming from Android Smartphone to Zello

Deziel0495

Database Admin
I know this topic has been beaten like a dead horse, but this one has a twist.... Here is the plan.

Using an old android phone connected to WiFi and with Zello installed, I plan to stream audio from my scanner to my smartphone and to a Zello channel with the VOX feature enabled. Going to do this with a TRS to TRRS patch cable (image attached). Using this patch cable, the smartphone will act like the scanner is a mic and send the audio through Zello.

In my mind it seems to work but I don't believe anyone had done this before, at least not any info I could find. Even if it doesn't work, the cable was only $12 so no big loss.

I'll keep you updated on my progress, just ordered the cable today.

Attachments

I have been doing a private feed for myself on Zello for years,

Just FYI, I bought the cable I needed at Dollar General store for $4.00.

I've done from scanner to a computer, and a scanner to one of my old phones, works like a champ, at for me.

The biggest thing I noticed there is about a 1-second delay for the VOX to active.

I hope this helps.

Good luck with your plan.

Which cable did you get?

Sent using Tapatalk
I was lucky, I got the standard 3.5 input on both sides of the cord I bought, it worked on all 3, my scanner headphone jack < note I'm using an HP-1) it also plugged into my computer and my old Cell phone which is Motorola Droid. and using the VOX setting in the Zello app, it works like a champ for me.