Streaming w/ delay for first responder safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Let me also make it clear that we will not allow delayed broadcasts from feed providers either - which means if one of the software makers creates a delayed feed function within their broadcast client - you are not allowed to use it on RR.

North Little Rock Police Dispatch 1

note the statement in the description: "feed is 30 minute delayed" Just goes to show it's who you are that dictates what rules RR will bend for you.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
North Little Rock Police Dispatch 1

note the statement in the description: "feed is 30 minute delayed" Just goes to show it's who you are that dictates what rules RR will bend for you.
It is also a PD provided feed which I think rr allows to delay.

Also rr would have no real way of knowing if someone delayed a feed unless someone else in the area with a scanner reported it.

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
It is also a PD provided feed which I think rr allows to delay.

Also rr would have no real way of knowing if someone delayed a feed unless someone else in the area with a scanner reported it.

Exactly. "Official" feeds - that is, those that are maintained by a department representative (and there are requirements to verify that the feed has the department blessing) are the ONLY ones allowed to have a delay per the feed provider terms.

It's not too hard to figure out a delay though, because dispatch always announces the time at the end of each transmission.. If it's more than a few minutes behind the actual time, it's being intentionally delayed.

dbs1023

Let me also make it clear that we will not allow delayed broadcasts from feed providers either - which means if one of the software makers creates a delayed feed function within their broadcast client - you are not allowed to use it on RR.

Maybe I missed it but why not? What's the different if an individual or pd provides the feed and tags it stating the feed is delayed?

n5ims

Maybe I missed it but why not? What's the different if an individual or pd provides the feed and tags it stating the feed is delayed?

The simple answer is that is how the site policy is defined (if you missed it, the user "blantonl" is the site owner and had the final say in what the policies are). I suspect that this difference in policy between user provided feeds and official feeds has more to do with the site wanting to encourage official feeds and a delay was something that some departments were requiring to create an official feed.

I'm not sure why there are all of these questions by a single user to a thread that's been dead for almost two and a half years, but hope you got your answers, or at least got things off your chest.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I'm hoping at some point we can roll out a change to the Forums which allows threads to be locked after a certain time period has elapsed.

Until then, its the manual lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.