BC92XLT: Struggling to make it scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

corona26

I bought the bc92xlt several weeks ago but still cannot understand how to get it to scan. I would like to scan aircraft frequencies. I have pressed "3" and the power on buttons so as to select Band 3. The startup screen then appears with a set of 6 0's, beneath which L/O, to the left P, underneath that SCN. At the top BANK and a flashing 1.

Could someone please explain how I can then get the device to scan the aicraft frequencies in the preset band plan 3? As detailed as possible please and will be very gratefully received.

wtp

well...

he is trying to get the radio to search the band.it is preset and looks tough to me without the radio in hand.
Service Search
You can search for weather, ham, marine, aircraft,
police, or fire transmissions without knowing the
specific frequencies used in your area. The scanner
is preprogrammed with all the frequencies allocated
to these services. To use this feature, press Func
and Svc. SRCH appears and the scanner searches
starting with the weather service bank. To select a
different service bank, repeatedly press Func and
Svc. Service mode appears on the display

that is from
https://www.uniden.com/File Library/FooterNav/Product Information/Owners Manuals/BC92XLTom.pdf

corona26

Thank yoo for your replies. I already have a manual that came with the scanner. The reason I asked my question on this forum is because I cannot understand the manual's instructions. Your suggestion that I should press FUNC and then SVC is a problem because this device does not have a SVC button! There is a FUNC button and a Scan/Src button. If I turn on the scanner and press FUNC and then SRC it does display a frequency in BAND PLAN1 beginning 25.0000 and the device seems to be searching through that range. However pressing FUNC and SCAN/SRC again does not take me into another bank. The 25.0000 set just continues to increment. How do I move into the Aicraft set?

kc2kth

It looks like SVC is the '3' key based on some Google Images results. Maybe SVC is worn off on your model?

corona26

I have also looked at Google Images of the UBC92XLT and I cannot see any SVC button. My device is new so hardly likely that SVC would have become "worn". I thought that this forum is dedicated to Uniden systems so also would have expected that contributors would have a reasonable product knowledge!!!

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
After reading the manual, sounds like a defective radio if it will not step through the services.

byndhlptom

bc92

BC92 manual

Referencing pages 4,27,28, SVC is the second function of key "3"

Referencing pages 34,35, service search requires the "FUNC"-"SVC" key sequence. Repeating key sequence steps through the different service choices. If it is not working correctly, you may have a fault with the unit (see previous post)

An alternative is to:

A- program band select mode (page 43)
B- load local aircraft frequencies in a dedicated bank (pages 33-34)
C- Set up a chain search (pages 41,42)

$.02

corona26

The manual that wss supplied with my unit has many differences to the one that you describe. I assume that my version is newer. Your page numbers do not reference the content that you refer to. Both manuals definitely are for a ubc92xlt but different!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
UBC92XLT and BC92XLT do not have the same operation or programming (although similar). I have no reference for the UBC92XLT...I'd rely on the O/M that came with it.

wtp

Chain Search Mode
Press Func + Src to start chain search mode. SRCH,
the enabled search bank number, and or
(indicating the search direction) appear. The search
bank number being searched flashes.
Bank No. Frequency (MHz) Step(kHz)
1 25.0000-27.9950 5
2 28.0000-69.9950 5
3 70.0000-88.0000 12.5
4 108.0000-136.9875 12.5
5 137.0000-147.9950 5
6 148.0000-174.0000 12.5
7 400.0000-419.99375 6.25
8 420.0000-449.99375 6.25
9 450.0000-512.0000 6.25
10 806.0000-956.0000 12.5
Special Features
Press 0-9 to enable or disable the search bank
number being searched in this mode. Enabled bank
numbers appear. (Disabled bank numbers
disappear).
At least one search bank must be enabled. (The
scanner sounds an error tone if you try to disable all
the search banks). The search bank and the
frequency where chain search starts depends on
how the scanner was set before you selected chain
search mode

https://www.uniden.com.au/RESOURCES_MAIN/pdfs/UBC92XLT_for_web.pdf

tkenny53

Done forget to set the squelch to 2 or 3. Aircraft/am listening is pretty quiet on SQL so 2-3 is about right

corona26

When I hold the 2 button for example together with the on button the display shows "band 2". I assume that this refers to Band Plan 2 as per the user manual and are what are described as Service Banks. Now I might seem to be a complete thicko but I still do not understand the purpose of these. How do I get the device to SCAN these preinstalled frequencies? When I press Scan nothing happens. I cannot follow the manual, which is not very good at explaining process in simple terms.

wtp

if i read it right

you press the numbers to turn on or off the ones you want or don't want.
so press 4 and see what happens.

corona26

My final question!
If I want to scan air-bands. Can I program in a range of frequencies, for example: 121.000 to 130.000 in order for the device to scan across the whole range or do I need to program in each individual frequency that may apply to a particular airport?

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
The difficulty with getting help from this forum involves several factors. First the forum is primarily USA based and you have a Euro-Aus-NZ radio. Looking on Youtube for videos I see two variants for the UBC92XLT. One has SVC imprinted near the '3' key and one doesn't. The one that doesn't may not have the service search feature in its firmware.

There are three manuals in PDF format commonly found on the web. One is for the US version of the radio, BC92XLT. Another is for the UBC92XLT but it is the one with SVC imprinted near the '3' key. The third manual is for the Albrecht AE92H, similar to the UBC92XLT. None of these manuals exactly covers your UBC92XLT without the SVC imprint near the '3' key.

According to the AE92H manual the band plan selects step sizes for the various frequency ranges. Band plan 2 is stated to be for Germany so you should set your radio for plan 1 assuming you are not in Germany. In any event the band plan does not have anything to do with Service Search.

Since your radio does not have the SVC imprint we must assume it is not a feature of your radio. Then you will need to use the chain search feature to do the air band search. There are 10 bands preprogrammed with default frequency ranges in the chain search feature. For band plan 1 the air band is frequency range 4.

Press FUNC + SRC to start chain search. Press 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0 to turn off all the search bands except 4. The radio should now be searching the air band 108-136.9875.

I don't monitor the air band myself and seem to recall that 108-118 is non-voice telemetry. You may want to reprogram band 4 to 118-136.9875 if that is the case. The manual gives instructions on how to program the band 4 search limits. You also have a choice of 8.33 or 12.5 kHz step size. I don't know enough about the air band to tell which one is appropriate.

Hopefully this helps to get you further along with using the radio. Someone who regularly monitors the air band hopefully will help with search range limits and step size settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.