• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Stubby VHF antenna for XTS5000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaker7

So to begin with I apologize for my ignorance, I'm not good with antennas and such. So I heard that using no antenna/the wrong antenna could seriously damage the Tx board in my XTS5000, but I wanted to get a more compact antenna like the one here Awesome Antenna VHF Motorola Stubby Radio XTS3000 XTS5000 APX7000 XTS2500 2X | eBay but wanted to ask to make sure using a smaller antenna on my XTS5000 VHF on high power would not damage my unit. I'd appreciate the help.

SCPD

QRT
That looks like a mislabeled 800mhz stubby antenna. It doesn't work that well on 800mhz, definitely wouldn't work well on VHF.

Antennas on a portable radio are, IMHO, a sacrifice. I consider them no more than a rubber duck 50ohm dummy load. The standard Motorola VHF antenna, cut for your frequency split, should be okay.

beaker7

That looks like a mislabeled 800mhz stubby antenna. It doesn't work that well on 800mhz, definitely wouldn't work well on VHF.

Antennas on a portable radio are, IMHO, a sacrifice. I consider them no more than a rubber duck 50ohm dummy load. The standard Motorola VHF antenna, cut for your frequency split, should be okay.

I mean as long as I could find a stubby antenna that wouldn't damage the Tx board in my radio i'd be ok with acceptable range loses. I mainly use the radios close range and I have had issues hiding a tall antenna under a suite.

SCPD

QRT
Motorola probably makes frequency specific stubby antennas for what you need. The antenna, you linked to, appeared to be a 800mhz stubby. I base that opinion on the pic and the description of the antenna posted by the seller. It ships from China so there may be a language/spelling issue there. If you've ever read any of their Chinese to English translated radio manuals you would understand:)

If you're not concerned with antenna performance then a stubby antenna would be okay. Be sure the antenna you purchase has the frequency coverage you need. The radio can suffer from high SWR if the antenna isn't tuned for your frequencies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I'm using a shorter stock Motorola VHF antenna that was intended for a MotoTRBO portable and it works great. Keep in mind however that I'm still within the antennas frequency range and well within the coverage area of my system. I'm sure at the fringe performance would start to suffer.

beaker7

Motorola probably makes frequency specific stubby antennas for what you need. The antenna, you linked to, appeared to be a 800mhz stubby. I base that opinion on the pic and the description of the antenna posted by the seller. It ships from China so there may be a language/spelling issue there. If you've ever read any of their Chinese to English translated radio manuals you would understand:)

If you're not concerned with antenna performance then a stubby antenna would be okay. Be sure the antenna you purchase has the frequency coverage you need. The radio can suffer from high SWR if the antenna isn't tuned for your frequencies.

How would I be able to tell if an antenna is tuned for VHF? Do I have to buy an SWR meter?

jruta

Take a look at PMAD4049 (Mototrbo VHF) in google. Probably what you're looking for. As another poster recommended; the Visar antenna is great for a smaller antenna. More "whip" like in nature but smaller than the standard. Be aware the Trbo antenna is very stiff with no flexibility, unlike the Visar antenna.

N4KVE

When I wanted a shorter VHF HT antenna, I originally went looking for the Visar antenna. But then 2 Trbo antennas came up for sale on a radio forum. Yes, they are not as flexible as the Visar antenna, but they are slightly shorter. They work perfectly, & I have not noticed any signal loss vs the long armpit scratcher I used to use.
PMAD4094 - Motorola Solutions

jruta

Yep I stand corrected on the part number- Gary has it right. Great little antenna.

beaker7

When I wanted a shorter VHF HT antenna, I originally went looking for the Visar antenna. But then 2 Trbo antennas came up for sale on a radio forum. Yes, they are not as flexible as the Visar antenna, but they are slightly shorter. They work perfectly, & I have not noticed any signal loss vs the long armpit scratcher I used to use.
PMAD4094 - Motorola Solutions
OK just ordered one, hopefully it'll all work out!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
My rule of thumb is a 40% loss of reception when dealing with stubby antennas.
The exception to that rule is if you have it on a speaker mic on your shoulder. Then it can be almost as good as a normal antenna on your radio at waist level.

If your monitoring a channel / system that has saturated coverage or your close to a tower and you dont travel outside its normal coverage area then a stubby will work for you.
If you drive around a lot, or often get a little bit of static or weak signal then a stubby wont be a good idea.

beaker7

Stubby antennas simply don't work as well as standard antennas. You may elect to use one but expect performance to suffer a little bit.

Yup totally get that, I will only be dealing with short range (Less then a quarter mile) MURS while using this antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.