Studying for Ham Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE2BJW

KE2BJW
I am studying for my technician ham license and going to continue to work hard at studying over and over so I can memorize everything and when next year comes I can go for the exam

K0WBC

Visit HamRadio 2.0 on You Tube., Recorded classes. Both Technician and General.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I am studying for my technician ham license and going to continue to work hard at studying over and over so I can memorize everything and when next year comes I can go for the exam
Congratulations on your decision to go for a Tech license. You'll be better off in the long run if you learn the material rather than memorize.
We all learn different ways and at different rates. With a moderate study schedule, you should be ready to take the licensing exam in a month or two. One way of gauging this is when you are consistently hitting 90% or better on the online practice tests.

It's also good to get your FRN registration number and account set up through the FCC sooner than later.

In addition to using a written study guide and looking over the questions, you might find Dave Casler's, KE0OG, Ham Radio Answers videos useful.

K7MEM

The OP didn't actually say that he was memorizing the questions and answers. He only said he was studying and memorizing the material.

IMHO, I don't think memorizing the questions is necessary. If you go through the questions, you will find that most of the answers are pretty obvious. A good way to get use to the test is the practice tests on, say, QRZ.com. There are similar practice tests on other sites. Once you are scoring 90% on a regular basis, you are ready for the test.

OP, good luck on your studying. But at the same time as you are preparing for the Technician test, look at the General test. There are many new hams that take all three tests at the same time, and start off with an Extra license. I took the Tech and General tests at the same VE session, and then, 2-3 months later took the Advanced and Extra at a single VE session. But that was over 20 years ago when other testing was required.

KC5AKB

Drop me a pm if you would like to talk about what you are studying.
I would also be interested in talking with you on the phone.
Regards,
Kc5akb

Wow Jason, its really great you have set your sights on becoming a ham, but you think you won't be prepared to take the exam until next year ?--- oh my......... don't under rate yourself so severely. I have several girlfriends that decided, quite on-the-moment, they wanted to become hams--- so

Two got ARRL manuals for both Tech and General, scanned them quickly--then ran thru an on-line exam (I recommended this one site)--

Both ace'd the Tech/General two weeks later--- one of them had never so much as twirl'd a tuning knob on a ham radio !

The third, my life long friend and work colleague, having seen me play ham radio for years-- she finally decided to take a shot at it too.
With literally only a few days preparation she went from zero to Extra in one test session. It probably didn't hurt that she is a PhD nuclear physicist.

I know, plenty of others will tell you to learn the material and then take the test. I will say, that is very noble ideal-- but I strongly suggest you get the license first, then fill in your knowledge base. The test questions are all out there....reading thru them several time should stick the answers firmly enuff in your head to easily sail thru the 35 question Tech exam. The General is a bit more involved, but I have those three examples above of what can be accomplished with minimal effort.

Good luck guy !

Lauri

KE2BJW

KE2BJW
Wow Jason, its really great you have set your sights on becoming a ham, but you think you won't be prepared to take the exam until next year ?--- oh my......... don't under rate yourself so severely. I have several girlfriends that decided, quite on-the-moment, they wanted to become hams--- so

Two got ARRL manuals for both Tech and General, scanned them quickly--then ran thru an on-line exam (I recommended this one site)--

Both ace'd the Tech/General two weeks later--- one of them had never so much as twirl'd a tuning knob on a ham radio !

The third, my life long friend and work colleague, having seen me play ham radio for years-- she finally decided to take a shot at it too.
With literally only a few days preparation she went from zero to Extra in one test session. It probably didn't hurt that she is a PhD nuclear physicist.

I know, plenty of others will tell you to learn the material and then take the test. I will say, that is very noble ideal-- but I strongly suggest you get the license first, then fill in your knowledge base. The test questions are all out there....reading thru them several time should stick the answers firmly enuff in your head to easily sail thru the 35 question Tech exam. The General is a bit more involved, but I have those three examples above of what can be accomplished with minimal effort.

Good luck guy !

Lauri

Thanks and yes I took a practice test on 4/14/2023 passing, it 26 correct out of 35 but I feel I need to keep studying more and more to be sure I am fully ready but how ever there isn't no where's where I am that test places are near by and everything is so far from me and I only wish there was a easier way of doing this so when I am ready I can go take the exam with out struggle as I do not drive so it maybe difficult and I was think of taken my test online from hamprep but just not sure how well that would be because they requir 85% or higher and most places local would allow ya passing on a 75% and I am studying from HamExam.org I have been :)

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I took a practice test on 4/14/2023 passing, it 26 correct out of 35
That's a very good start. Keep working at it. You'll gain more confidence as you become more familiar with the material. Know that there will be some questions that make absolutely no sense whatsoever. For these, just be able to recognize the question and its correct answer and worry about backfilling learning the concept until later. You will probably find a lot of the material will become clearer when you are actually working with a radio.

You'll probably be ready for the actual test when you are missing 5 or fewer questions. Also, try looking at other training sites and taking the the practice tests they offer.

"..................because they require 85% or higher and........."

This is news to me (and I am a former VE.) The passing score is 74%--or 26 correct out of 35 questions. Unless things have radically changed Jason--- in person or internet mediated, passing is 74%. Where did you hear it was 85 ??

Lauri

K7MEM

There are a lot of sites that have practice written tests. Sites like QRZ.com and Eham. Just join the sites and you can take all the practice tests you like, for free. I used QRZ when I upgraded to Extra. I took the Tech and General in a single VE session, and then 2-3 months later, I took the Advanced and Extra in a single VE session. I made sure that I was scoring 90% on all my practice tests and felt comfortable with the real tests. Of course, when I upgraded I also had the 13 and 20 WPM Morse tests. But they were no problem and you don't have to deal with them any more.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
just get one of the many Technician testing guide and start reading. Most of the information on the Technician test is memorized (rules and regs, band edges and procedures). When you pass, you will find it is a license to learn-most of us never stop learning. After you are on the air, remember that you are still learning (and don't 'know it all'). Have fun on the air and keep learning and growing.

A month is way more than enough study time to pass the test if you spend a half hour or so each day on it. Once you pass, the real learning can start.

73 and welcome to the hobby (ies)-I say hobbies becasue some of us make a hobby out of antenna building some out of DXing, some do Moonbounce and on and on-very few hams have 'done it all' or even tried it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.