Studying for my Basic Qualification

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE3WTV

I bought my ham book probably 8 years ago from a ham operator in my area. It's out of date now, but I'm still using it. I don't want to buy another one. It is the RAC study guide, sixth edition. I know the seventh is out, but I don't know how it's different. I need to study before I write another exam. On my last one, I got 57/100. Where I get hung up is mostly on the technical questions, like the sequence of elements in a radio - oscilator>amplifier>filter>modulator, etc.. And also the discussion of diodes and other circuit parts. My math is lousy too, so I have a hard time with the formulae, but I am determined to learn it. I have to, so I can build my own antenna! I look forward to building a portable antenna that can be disassembled and put in a bag like my volleyball net came in. I don't know if I'll make the poles 24" or 36", but I'll figure it out later. I will want to be able to carry it with a backpack.

The main reason I want my ham license is that I love portable radios, and ham radio is the only way you can legally have a 5 watt radio to use. Without ham, you are restricted to 2 watts (in Canada). I have a few pairs of FRS/GMRS radios, but there's nothing like the real thing - a full 5 watt handheld! I have an Icom M-88, but that's only for boating. And then there's the mobile radio. I want one in my vehicle.

I'm a few years away from retirement, and ham radio activities are how I want to spend it. I want to be outdoors with a radio, whether boating, hiking, or some type of charity work, or volunteering for a project, like science or something. I think scientists who work up north use ham to communicate between stations. When I'm done work I'll be looking for something to commit to. Something that gets me up in the morning to go out and get some excercise and be with people doing something constructive. I would love to spend a few weeks in the far north, like the NWT, any time of the year.

n5ims

Not sure how they do it in Canada, but in the US, they change the question pool every few years so you really need to use a current study guide. I'd hate for you to spend quite a bit of time studying for your test and not do well simply because you were studying the wrong stuff. It almost would be just as bad to miss the "With Honors" qualification for the same reason. At the very least, you should take some online practice tests to cover anything that may be missing from your study by using an old study guide.

While most of the information covered is similar there may be some significant differences. It may be that the old question pool mentioned nothing about the current digital modes while the new question pool has several on them. There quite possibly may be questions that cover rule changes so a correct answer using the old pool may now be wrong due to the changes. It may be worth a trip to your local library to see if they have a current version of the guide that you can study from or at least compare with your older version to see what has changed.

This (and sites like it) may be helpful to you. --> http://www.nc4fb.org/wordpress/canadian-amateur-radio-licenses/canadian-basic-license-v2/

Most of all, good luck with your pursuit!

Last edited:

VE3WTV

I have the IC exam generator on my PC, and I've used it twice so far. I don't bother doing another exam without studying first. It's pointless. That's why I've only done two.

What bothers me is that I can't print out the exam I just wrote with the answers I gave, so I can study the ones I got wrong. I can print out the exam I just wrote as a blank, and then I have to write it again on the printed copy to see where I need improvement. That is a real drawback to this software.

Maybe another Canadian here has the newer book and can tell me how it is different. Or I could go to the local club. They meet on Tuesday nights, which is difficult for me, since I work steady midnights. I don't like going out after I wake up during the week.

n5ims

I have the IC exam generator on my PC, and I've used it twice so far. I don't bother doing another exam without studying first. It's pointless. That's why I've only done two.

What bothers me is that I can't print out the exam I just wrote with the answers I gave, so I can study the ones I got wrong. I can print out the exam I just wrote as a blank, and then I have to write it again on the printed copy to see where I need improvement. That is a real drawback to this software.

Maybe another Canadian here has the newer book and can tell me how it is different. Or I could go to the local club. They meet on Tuesday nights, which is difficult for me, since I work steady midnights. I don't like going out after I wake up during the week.

The link I gave you had several links that may be helpful to you. One provides a syllabus so you can see what the current pool covers and perhaps can compare it to one in your current book to find the differences. There's also a link to the current question pool so you can further drill down on what specifically has changed. Also is a link for some online flashcards to help you study the various parts of the exam. This may be as useful as your current book for studying (although the book may provide more in depth explanations on why an answer is right or wrong). Using the online links for initial study and your book for a more details on "why" may be an approach that may work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.