Stupid question, can't think this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

jquittum

Premium Subscriber
I have a Wellbrook 1530 loop outside on a rotator. Am I wrong thinking that I should never need to rotate the loop more than 90 degrees to null or extract any given signal. ie: there is no front or back, correct?

teufler

no null is al 90 degrees from the target. loop is broadside for strongest signal then at 0 or the lowest point it will be a straight line to the target.

jquittum

Premium Subscriber
I think I am thinking wrong. I would need to rotate 180 degrees to "sweep" all directions. Is that right?

Token

I think I am thinking wrong. I would need to rotate 180 degrees to "sweep" all directions. Is that right?

Yes, to sweep full circle you just turn it 180 degrees, there is no front and back so just say it should see off side A as well as it sees off side B (the sides are looking through the hole of the loop). The main beam should be very wide, but the nulls should be sharp (for ground wave or direct path signals), so direction cuts on a loop (without sense antenna) are best done in the sharp null.

T!

teufler

your signal will be a line but you don't know if its left or right. You would either need a second loop heading ort you need to take the antenna and make another reading. You then take a map and draw the lines, were the kines cross, you have a pretty good idea of where the antenna is located, Used to do this in the Navy ]flying where we did a time distance check. We would lock onto a station, and out the station off a wingtip then fly until the needle has moved 10 degrees. From this we did a calculation that told us the approximate mile an d the direction we were to the field,

db_gain

Loops in the real world are affected by imbalances from nearby conductors and the earth, wich keep them from exhibiting the classic loop response but they're handy anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.