• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Stupidity...LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Well.. Not sure if this belongs here or not, but...it did start as part of a shack upgrade.. LOL

While running my LMR400 yesterday, like an idiot, I fell out of my attic stairwell and spent 3.5 hrs in the ER. The brilliant person that designed my house put the stairwell backwards which requires me to step across the opening... Missed the stair coming down and upon "catching myself" I pulled my right shoulder out of socket and tore some muscles in my bicep/pectoral.

I was running the cable in preparation of the installation of a rotor and a new Yagi...along with replacing the RG6 that was going to my Scantenna. Anyway, I at least got the cable connected prior to my brilliant move. Yagi and rotor should be in this week and I guess they'll have to wait awhile.. :(

Anyway, just wanted to share my story.. Be careful up in those attics. LOL

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
LOL. Thanks everyone. No pics... I am just glad I didn't have anything in my hands (scanner, etc..)

Pain meds are a wonderful thing btw.

I know I am very new to this hobby and forum, but just wanted to say you all have made me feel a part and I appreciate it.

Thanks again,

Highpockets

andrewccm said:
LOL. Thanks everyone. No pics... I am just glad I didn't have anything in my hands (scanner, etc..)

Pain meds are a wonderful thing btw.

I know I am very new to this hobby and forum, but just wanted to say you all have made me feel a part and I appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Take a rest from scanning, take 2 pain pills, and listen to Pink Floyd!

af5rn

Aw man! Sorry to hear that. Especially since I was going to ask you to come over and help me install my new roof antenna! :lol: Between your bad arm and my bad leg, we'll never get anything done now!

Unable to get onto my roof yet, I did manage to crawl into my attic and stick my Spectra on a metal box up there, which definitely improved my reception. All the way up and down I was scared to death that I was going to come crashing down though, lol. Oh, how I long for my younger days, when I feared no rooftop, attic, or tower!

Get better soon, bro!

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Thank you! I know what you mean about being younger.. I am 39 and beginning to understand that I cannot always do everything I used to... Dang it.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
good lord! glad nothing serious happend. Like electricution or something!

How does one install a stairwell "backwards":confused:

I think someone beat me to it, but hopefully the ER gave you some decent meds to make it somewhat worth the visit. They mentioned Pink Floyed, but I prefer Rush's Exit Stage Left live album with headphones when mending my wounds in a opiate haze.

af5rn

DanTSX said:
By installing it to where you have to step over the abyss to the steps, instead of stepping directly down to the steps. In other words, having the ladder on the opposite side of the opening from where you are approaching. Definitely a hazard.

Although, I suppose you could also install it backwards by having it open into the attic instead of down into the house. That too would be pretty dangerous. :lol:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Now what's preventing you from stretching a rope across the opening near the ceiling for you to hang onto? Oh I know, you're too stoned from the meds to care about now. Way to go guy, now you know doctors have the best drugs and they're LEGAL.

EEEeeeh, just don't fall down again when you string the rope you dope! (;->)

"So did you hear the ambulance call for yourself go out on the scanner??"

Oh jeeeezzzzz. :)-O)

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
WITHOUT A DOUBT. RUSH is my absolute FAVORITE band of all time.. Just finished seeing them again in Dallas a couple of weeks ago!

DanTSX said:
good lord! glad nothing serious happend. Like electricution or something!

I think someone beat me to it, but hopefully the ER gave you some decent meds to make it somewhat worth the visit. They mentioned Pink Floyed, but I prefer Rush's Exit Stage Left live album with headphones when mending my wounds in a opiate haze.

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
The nice thing - the ER doctor that saw me was my NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR! :D

kb2vxa said:
Now what's preventing you from stretching a rope across the opening near the ceiling for you to hang onto? Oh I know, you're too stoned from the meds to care about now. Way to go guy, now you know doctors have the best drugs and they're LEGAL.

EEEeeeh, just don't fall down again when you string the rope you dope! (;->)

"So did you hear the ambulance call for yourself go out on the scanner??"

Oh jeeeezzzzz. :)-O)

pathalogical

andrewccm said:
WITHOUT A DOUBT. RUSH is my absolute FAVORITE band of all time.. Just finished seeing them again in Dallas a couple of weeks ago!
Nice to see a fellow Rush fan here ! Hemispheres side one usually does it for me...along with some Percocet !!! The best therapy ever, is cranking up your favourite album (or as they call 'em today...CDs) as loud as you can take it and just sit back and relaaaax.....maaaan !!!!!!!!!!

W9WSS

Premium Subscriber
Safety

I know that when I hit the magic age of 50, all kinds of things started happening to my body, including FEAR OF HEIGHTS! I never had this issue before, as I was the 1st person up a tower (without a belt!), up the ladder to a steep-pitched roof, etc. Now, I start getting shakey on the rungs of a step-ladder! Luckily, my roof is not pitched at a severe angle. I have a Glen Martin 8' quad-pod which is the centerpoise of all my antennas (with a few exceptions). It's easy to get up there and do most of the work with a minimum of effort.

Never ever compromise safety for a possible "better grab" onto something during your antenna installation. I won't even climb a ground-mounted tower anymore, with or without a safety belt. I'll leave that to all you younger whipper-snapper's!

It's a bear getting old; I can't even do the mobile installs like I used to do. A year or so ago, I had to grab my cell phone on my belt and call the wife "for extrication" when I couldn't get out from under the dashboard, or maybe it was in the trunk of my car snaking a wire through a narrow passage. I give a lot of credit to the many mobile and base station installers out there doing this stuff on a regular basis.

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
I have my iPOD completely full of live bootlegs from the 70s-00's, mixes from the monitor board, video clips, you name it... I am an addict. Love Hemispheres as well..Permanent Waves, Signals and Grace Under Pressure are also on the short list of favs..

I just wish they would play a better venue when they come through Dallas. Outdoor venues just don't do it for me... Perhaps I should fly to Toronto sometime and see them in their home town. Look you up too! LOL

Piston52Heavy

andrewccm said:
Well.. Not sure if this belongs here or not, but...it did start as part of a shack upgrade.. LOL

While running my LMR400 yesterday, like an idiot, I fell out of my attic stairwell and spent 3.5 hrs in the ER. The brilliant person that designed my house put the stairwell backwards which requires me to step across the opening... Missed the stair coming down and upon "catching myself" I pulled my right shoulder out of socket and tore some muscles in my bicep/pectoral.

I was running the cable in preparation of the installation of a rotor and a new Yagi...along with replacing the RG6 that was going to my Scantenna. Anyway, I at least got the cable connected prior to my brilliant move. Yagi and rotor should be in this week and I guess they'll have to wait awhile.. :(

Anyway, just wanted to share my story.. Be careful up in those attics. LOL

OUCH!! I understand the pain you're going through! - I slipped on the ice back in January and ended up dislocating AND fracturing my left shoulder. Get better!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.