Subaru Ascent Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
Very nice.
What is the Yaesu mic clip upgrade? I replaced mine with a metal button which added heft/solid mounting. Being a fan of Yaesu I really wish they'd upgrade their mics.

Thumbs up on the faceplate! Makes everything cleaner.

AA4TX

It is a Neodymium cup magnet. The mount is a zinc washer. Makes it easier to hang the mic while driving. I removed the original button, and replaced it with a magnet that was just about the same size.
The faceplate is mounted to a piece of marine StarBoard cut to fit the dash cubby. It is a material that is made for building marine dash assemblies (among other things) and can be worked the same as wood (easy to cut, sand, etc).

mrweather

Nice and clean install! Where did you mount the speaker?

I recognize one antenna as the Larsen NMO270. Is the other a NMO50 for the 6M band?

AA4TX

Speaker is mounted to the bar at the front of the drivers seat. There were already holes that matched the bracket. It works ok, since the Ascent is a very quiet vehicle. Not many mounting opportunities in these new vehicles.

Yes, NMO2/17, NMO50, and the third mount is a wildcard. I have another HF/VHF Low diplexer so I can mount my NMO27 for 10 meters; I can use it for APRS; I also have UHF and VHF VXR1000s if I want to utilize a vehicle extender. This system was transferred from my F150, and depending on the situation, it was very easy to switch configurations.

The transceivers and diplexers are mounted in a Tac-Comm carrier, which is bolted underneath the passenger seat where the upgraded amplifier is supposed to go for those that have the advanced sound system. This makes it easy to retrieve as a unit for service/configuration changes, provides mounting possibilities for auxiliary equipment, and gives the equipment a bit of protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.