Subase

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolrich55

In case anyone is interested I've been doing a little research for a couple days and found that the database is incorrect. When I have time I'll submit my findings. Couple things I found. The FD is dispatched on TG 27663 which is listed in the database as Weapons Station Earle Fire 1. The subase units referred to this TG as Tac 3 and seems to be their dispatch TG. Next,TG 27737. This TG was referred to as Tac 5, and used as a fire ground TG. In the database it is listed as Newport fire dispatch.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! I'm reprogramming my scanner as we speak, good to know the updates.

Is SBFD still broadcasting / simulcasting their dispatch on the old VHF frequencies so GFA can hear them go out?

ecps92

They were correct from 2012, wonder if the changes occurred during the moving of Dispatch [ saw stories, never heard a final outcome] to a regional Navy site.
In case anyone is interested I've been doing a little research for a couple days and found that the database is incorrect. When I have time I'll submit my findings. Couple things I found. The FD is dispatched on TG 27663 which is listed in the database as Weapons Station Earle Fire 1. The subase units referred to this TG as Tac 3 and seems to be their dispatch TG. Next,TG 27737. This TG was referred to as Tac 5, and used as a fire ground TG. In the database it is listed as Newport fire dispatch.

coolrich55

Thanks! I'm reprogramming my scanner as we speak, good to know the updates.

Is SBFD still broadcasting / simulcasting their dispatch on the old VHF frequencies so GFA can hear them go out?

As far as I can tell the old frequencies are not in use at all. I can tell you that listening yesterday New London had a fire and GFA toned out the subase for the fast team on 151.295. Shortly after, the fast team unit came over 27663 to let Mid Atlantic dispatch know they were responding to NL. I'd assume GFA would dispatch the base also for any mutual aid calls but can't confirm that yet. Just be aware 27663 is also dispatch for other Navy departments and when they do get dispatched they only call out their unit Id's not the name of the departments. You'd have to do a little research to figure out what dept. is what. I believe all subase units start with 6.

coolrich55

They were correct from 2012, wonder if the changes occurred during the moving of Dispatch [ saw stories, never heard a final outcome] to a regional Navy site.

As far as I can tell the only TG that is in use under New London in the DB is 27814 which is labeled PD Tac 1 which is encrypted but pretty busy. Mid Atlantic is the dispatch for all of the departments now. 27020 is another dispatch channel that is quite busy. I've heard the navy shipyard and Oceana ect being dispatched there. Also if you're interested 27944 is used for a roll call a couple times a day. You'll here everyone from Philadelphia to the Great Lakes there. Some, like the Subase, are encrypted though when they respond.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
.....I believe all subase units start with 6.

Thanks for the info CoolRich. Yes, NL Sub Base apparatus begin with "6". When they changed over to the new dispatch the were assigned "N-6" to be in line with the other bases in the region.

needless to say, good thing Norwich basically stopped using "N" a long time ago with the county M/A numbering scheme.

cookandcamera

This is what I have come up with from listening. Pardon the repetition from above.

27663 - MidLant Tac 1 (NLON and NSA Newport dispatched on this TG)
27664 - MidLant Tac 4
27737 - MidLant Tac 5
27828 - MidLant Tac 6

I have heard NLON on all of these TGs along with other stations here in the Northeast.

27020 - MidLant Dispatch (this TG is primarily Norfolk and southern stations, which when an F-18 has declared an in-flight emergency can be interesting to listen to)

27944 - MidLant Regional Ops Center (daily station roll call and occasional operational messages)

I have kept my scanner on ID search for the DOD as to pick up any activity. The strangest thing is that I hear very little to no NLON Police or security anywhere on this system anymore when they were almost a daily thing between on base incidents or gate check-ins.

Schoolcop

Thanks for the info CoolRich. Yes, NL Sub Base apparatus begin with "6". When they changed over to the new dispatch the were assigned "N-6" to be in line with the other bases in the region.

needless to say, good thing Norwich basically stopped using "N" a long time ago with the county M/A numbering scheme.
I know the Sub base Groton uses N-6 on there units what does Newport use???

BabaDude77

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys just to jump in on the thread. I have a pretty good understanding of this system and heres a quick cheat sheet for you.
Navy Region Mid Atlantic (MIDLANT) has gone to a regional dispatch all bases in the Mid Atlantic Region are dispatched from Virginia.

- All PD is encrypted don't bother

- Dispatch is broken down into 2 talk groups North East (MIDLANT FIRE NE (TGID27663) and South (MIDLANTFD SOUTH(TGID27020) Units from SUBASE, NS NEWPORT, NWS EARLE(NJ), and NS Great Lakes are dispatched from NE (philly is on their own dispatch same with Portsmouth naval shipyard(ME/NH) but are expected to come online eventually). SOUTH dispatches Hampton Roads area bases in Virginia along with NAS Oceana.

- NE TAC 4 (27664) is used for medical calls
- NE TAC 5 (27737) is used for fire calls ( Alarm activations, actual fires, MVAs and such)
- NE TAC 6 (27828) is used for bleed over , any long duration call to clear up 4/5. Also know it is not uncommon for multiple calls to be operating on 4 or 5. It gets confusing at times.

- MIDLANT FD SOUTH (27020) is primary dispatch for Hampton Roads and NAS I am not sure about TACs for them because we only listen to their dispatch unless they get a decent call.
- Chambers Field (NAS Oceana) has an airfield OPS channel for Crash Crews (TGID 27041) and ARFF Units are designated "Company#" mainly you will hear Inflight Emergencies and units requesting clearance from tower on this TG.

- Finally one last TG I have programed is CNRMA ROC or the Regional Operations Center (TGID27944) this TG is from OPS Center to all bases in the region along the lines of EMA I would assume. Basically a way for the commander of the region to reach his bases in the time of an emergency. On this TG you will hear roll calls and radio checks with each base two times per day just know some bases are encrypted but the ops center is not (makes sense?)

- SUBASE FD Units are dispatched from both MIDLANT NE and GFA(conventional fre'q) depending on which dispatch receives the call. Cellphones on base go to GFA while landlines go to Virginia. All mutual aid is dispatched by GFA (example FAST , R1 , MA Ambulance ect.) and units will sign on with both GFA and MIDLANT then proceed to assigned TAC for both MIDLANT (TAC 4/5) and GFA (FG4/5 , CMND E or W) Basically officers have to walk around with 2 radios(or 3 if called to New London).

I hope this helped a little with understanding the system and which TACS to program. Any questions hit me up I would be glad to help to the best of my knowledge.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
Hey scolucci1988 thanks for the information, this helped me tremendously in identifying the talkgroup usage.
I have heard several other talkgroups which NWS Earle fire units were heard, but they only come and go (only during exercise?), are they specific to the bases only or are they regional talkgroups as well?

27674 NWS EARLE FIRE
27694 NWS EARLE FIRE
27695 NWS EARLE FIRE
27648 NWS EARLE FIRE TRAINING CMD TAC 5
25525 NWS CRANE
25683 NAS GREAT LAKES

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.