Submission of Ham Repeater Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
Over the last two days I have received dozens of new submissions for Ham Repeaters. The problem I am seeing is that many of the submissions are not complete with very little information. Just adding a call sign and frequency will require the admin to further search for additional information resulting in further delays in getting your submission published.

To help speed up the process please provided the information in the following format.
(Output - Input - License - Type - Tone Out - Tone In - Alpha Tag - Description - Mode - Tag)

Here is an example for 2 meters in Okaloosa County Florida.
146.79000 - 146.19000 - W4ZBB - RM - 100.0 PL - 100.0 PL - PARC - Playground Amateur Radio Club (Ft. Walton Beach) - FM - Ham

Example: Okaloosa County, Florida (FL) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Please don't include the "-" I used for separation and if you can group them together like 2 Meters, 70 Centimeters, D-Star, etc, this would speed up the process in getting your submission added since then we simply import your information into the system.

As you can see, the repeaters are listed in the county category. Let us know the location of the repeater per my example.

Thanks for the submissions.

w2xq

Mentor
Dan I didn't see your post until I uploaded an adjusted NJ ham repeater list. Check the NJ forum, if you would. Hope it helps.
Tom
(I used to maintain the previous coordinating committee's file on my Apple II in the early 80's, and was on the road in all 57 -- err, 21 -- counties for 12 years.)

wise871

Database Admin
Dan I didn't see your post until I uploaded an adjusted NJ ham repeater list. Check the NJ forum, if you would. Hope it helps.
Tom
(I used to maintain the previous coordinating committee's file on my Apple II in the early 80's, and was on the road in all 57 -- err, 21 -- counties for 12 years.)

No problem, It's just a suggestion to help speed up the process. I'm not the NJ admin but If you already submitted your updates thats fine.

jeffreyinberthoud

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Might I suggest a sticky on each state forum reguarding the submition of ham freqswith the format you are talking about I love doing data seach just want to send in usable data..........................

(Output - Input - License - Type - Tone Out - Tone In - Alpha Tag - Description - Mode - Tag)

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Um, just a minor correction to the above list, please don't include the "TAG" column, we know you are submitting Ham frequencies and that will save us (the DB Admins) the effort of stripping that from the submissions.

Um, Dan, you missed that this field is not "importable". :D

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Me thinketh you're expectations are high, Lou, if you think that the vast majority of ham submissions are going to be provided in a way that is easily importable. I gotta see this!

Mike

wise871

Database Admin
I really looking for it to make since instead of me spending time researching just a single frequency or a call sign.

I'm seeing stuff like
K4ABC

Thats it. Be nice to know if a club owns it, whats the input and were the repeater is located. I can live with not supplying the input as long as I know if it's a + or -. An if it's a club, a URL would be nice.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I am trying to fix up the Maryland amateur radio listing, and it's quite a mess. I have a Word document (including repeaters not listed), which is getting big - and that's too much to put in one submission.

I also question the wide use of the 'Statewide' tag in the database. Most repeaters in my state are not statewide in nature - they cover a county (sometimes a couple of counties), and their transmitters are in a fixed location. There are some repeaters that have the home county listed. I feel that's a better representation than 'statewide'. Look at the NY repeater listings as an example. There are also numerous duplicate listings and other incorrect information.

I would prefer sending all this stuff to a mod who is a ham - that person would be far and away more able to understand what this data is intended to do. Do we have any Maryland hams on staff?

TIA Mike

APTN

Um, just a minor correction to the above list, please don't include the "TAG" column, we know you are submitting Ham frequencies and that will save us (the DB Admins) the effort of stripping that from the submissions.

Um, Dan, you missed that this field is not "importable". :D

Will the database have fields for or incorporate methods of storing other information (IRLP and or Echolink node numbers or autopatch availability) if applicable ? Should this information go in the wiki rather than the database ?

Last edited:

wise871

Database Admin
Will the database have fields for or incorporate methods of storing other information (IRLP and or Echolink node numbers or autopatch availability) if applicable ? Should this information go in the wiki rather than the database ?

I think it should go in the wiki. If we add all that extra information into the description you’re going to overload those scanners that import data from RR. Since opening up the ham repeaters I’m starting to see some request that wants RR to include all kinds of information in the description to include the kitchen sink. There is already a large database for ham repeaters out on the net. Duplicating that information here on RR seems to be a waste. Isn’t the primary purpose for programming scanners?

D

DaveNF2G

Duplicating that information here on RR seems to be a waste. Isn’t the primary purpose for programming scanners?

Apparently it is now. It used to be to make as much scanning information as possible available in one place.

kb2crk

I think it should go in the wiki. If we add all that extra information into the description you’re going to overload those scanners that import data from RR. Since opening up the ham repeaters I’m starting to see some request that wants RR to include all kinds of information in the description to include the kitchen sink. There is already a large database for ham repeaters out on the net. Duplicating that information here on RR seems to be a waste. Isn’t the primary purpose for programming scanners?

it is not a waste as many of the repeater directories are out of date. one of the elbert county repeaters I submitted does not appear in the directories. the one in oglethorpe county is in the directories as in athens clarke county. it is between crawford and arnoldsville ga. on hwy 78 in oglethorpe. there are also many repeaters in the directories that are not there or non functional for a long time.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
What about the submission of data mode and visual repeaters, such as digipeaters (packet and APRS) and ATV? So far, nothing has been said about that

best regards..Mike

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
What about the submission of data mode and visual repeaters, such as digipeaters (packet and APRS) and ATV? So far, nothing has been said about that

best regards..Mike
I think including ATV repeaters would be appropriate. As for APRS, not so much. They already (by definition) have an infrastructure that not only tells you who, but where each and every one of them is located. It might be appropriate to add the APRS frequency to the Nationwide group though. As for packet LANs, I am not so sure, these tend to appear and disappear on a regular basis, may only be on during certain hours or days; however, once again adding the "regular & normal" frequencies used probably would be appropriate at the nationwide level.

w2xq

Mentor
Troublemaker, Mike. :)

I still think before the collection of amateur repeaters gets out of hand, a fundamental question must be answered. Is the listing for non-ham scanner listeners? If yes, the data display is simple: output, tone, call, city/town, county. Is the listing intended for hams? If yes, then I would suggest the resources of RR staff and programming could be better used elsewhere.

IMHO, the most current listings are those from repeater coordinating councils. These aren't perfect, and some repeater operators don't want their machines listed, but so be it. I wander around the east coast and in Colorado. For example: Amateur Radio : FM

Food for thought. Figure out the target audience first.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Troublemaker, Mike. :)

I still think before the collection of amateur repeaters gets out of hand, a fundamental question must be answered. Is the listing for non-ham scanner listeners? If yes, the data display is simple: output, tone, call, city/town, county. Is the listing intended for hams? If yes, then I would suggest the resources of RR staff and programming could be better used elsewhere.

IMHO, the most current listings are those from repeater coordinating councils. These aren't perfect, and some repeater operators don't want their machines listed, but so be it. I wander around the east coast and in Colorado. For example: Amateur Radio : FM

Food for thought. Figure out the target audience first.
Tom,

I will refer you to Lindsay's announcement in this regard and specifically the two points I have extracted below:
We will now strive to become the most accurate resource for Amateur Radio Repeater information. In the past, we limited our database to only Skywarn and RACES repeater information, however we will be expanding that to cover all Amateur Radio Repeater information around the world.
Additionally, over the new 2 months, we will be rolling out a number of new features to support the Amateur Radio community, including a complete callsign lookup facility, callsign profile linking to your RR account, and more! Stay tuned!

w2xq

Mentor
Lou, I read those statements before. That's a tall order, IMHO it is reinventing the wheel. I wonder if it is the best use of resources. And it still doesn't answer the question of who is the target audience: non-ham scanner listeners or licensed radio amateurs. But differences make the world go around...

D

DaveNF2G

QRZ.com is much faster to type than radioreference.com when I want to look up a ham callsign. :)

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
I just added 2 different ham repeaters to the Massachusetts database. I added them with new subcategory details including their location and range. I believe they should ALL have location and range set to (at least) the city-center they're located in but I see large tracts of data for New York State with no geotag data.

What's the accepted way of entering the ham repeater data? A step-by-step for db admins would be nice (Lou?)

Status
Not open for further replies.