such a thing exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquierStrat

Hey guys. Was wondering if there's a device out there that switches between 2 antennas, between transmitting and receiving? Like, it would listen on one antenna, then when it came time to transmit, it would switch to the other antenna until its time to receive again? If so, could someone point me in the direction of it? Thank you

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
What type device are you looking to use this on? You just described every repeater that doesn't employ a duplexer.

SquierStrat

thank you for the responses so far. I should have mentioned, Im wanting this for an amateur radio station. Antenna 1 receives better, while antenna 2 can handle much more power. So in some situations, I receive on antenna 1 and transmit on antenna 2, but have to flip the switch back and forth every time between the 2. Im looking for something that will make the switch automatically

The coax relay Chronic suggested seems to be the closest thing to it, out of all of the suggestions so far... Are there any others on the market similar to it?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
T/R switch. These were very common back in the days when amateurs often had a separate transmitter and a separate receiver. Keying up the transmitter would trigger the relay and connect the transmitter to the antenna.

Using it in reverse would do what you want. Use the common port to your radio, and when transmitting, it would switch to your TX antenna.

Coaxial relays are pretty easy to find. In fact, I think I've got one sitting on my desk at work with a 28 volt coil.

needairtime

Speaking of these coaxial relays, I've seen some people use regular relays for RF...oh boy, that scares me...then again, transceivers have always been using relays.

So I saw this homemade 4-SO239 box (metal) that apparently uses a regular DPDT relay to straight or crossover the 4 SO239s. Inside it uses a short segment of RG58 to connect to the relay...

This looks very wrong IMHO. Wonder if this was really acceptable design, or perhaps it's okay for HF...and asking for trouble at VHF/UHF/...

W5lz

There are a number of ways to do that switching. Probably the most common (cheap) way of doing it is with an RF sensing relay to do that switching. Lots of solid state amplifiers do it...

Status
Not open for further replies.