Suggestions/Guidelines to posting in Skip/Tropo

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimab

I don't want to sound like a forum nazi, so these are merely suggestions that will make posting (here in the skip/tropo forum) easier and will help share the information in an organized simple fashion.

When posting a new thread, please try and remember to include the date,t ime of the post, and the frequency that way it's easy to see if something is active without having to click through all the threads and checking post dates/times and such.

Within the post, please try and include the following information:
1. The location where you are listening from (not everyone has their location filled in on the forum profile),
2. The freq. that you are listening on (there maybe multiple freqs. open)
2.5 IF known, what exacly you are hearing (agency type/relevant info). Some folks may hear regular skips and are able to identify the source.
9. Grid Square location (this is really not necessary but I've seen this posted along with other skip/tropo info, and those who can use this info, tends to really help finding the area fast on a grid map). (numbered 9 on purpose because it's not that important).

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
dimab said:
I don't want to sound like a forum nazi, so these are merely suggestions that will make posting (here in the skip/tropo forum) easier and will help share the information in an organized simple fashion.

When posting a new thread, please try and remember to include the date,t ime of the post, and the frequency that way it's easy to see if something is active without having to click through all the threads and checking post dates/times and such.

Within the post, please try and include the following information:
1. The location where you are listening from (not everyone has their location filled in on the forum profile),
2. The freq. that you are listening on (there maybe multiple freqs. open)
2.5 IF known, what exacly you are hearing (agency type/relevant info). Some folks may hear regular skips and are able to identify the source.
9. Grid Square location (this is really not necessary but I've seen this posted along with other skip/tropo info, and those who can use this info, tends to really help finding the area fast on a grid map). (numbered 9 on purpose because it's not that important).

If you're going to list a Grid Square location, it might be much more helpful to state what kind of Grid squares you want to use; for example, ham radio has it's own designations for Grid Squares, I'm pretty sure you can set up a GPS receiver for this, and there are probably others. Unless such a reference is standardized, it's virtually meaningless. And be sure to state the source of the grid square system you want used, otherwise folks will be scrambling, not knowing which reference to use.

And I'll add a very useful link, which recently moved, and TinEar was the first to bring it to my attention - it's Bill Hepburn's Tropo forecasting page, which is now at:

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html

73s and good luck with the new forum Mike

TinEar

Although I think tropo reports are better served on the various state forums since the nature of the beast is that these signals are temporary and confined to a rather small area, I'd like to add another suggestion for inclusion. Please provide the PL/DPL since many, many units may be using the same frequency - especially on the 154 fire band.

illini52

Wow, cool. I was thinking of suggesting a forum like this for skip. Will post my June findings so far.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I've installed a new Category article for this forum, which can be found here There is a single article in there right now, and it should be a good place from which to start. Links and articles on the technical aspects, how-tos, maps, regardless of service, are all very welcome. Just be sure to link it to this category.

The rest, as they say, is up to you 73s Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A small correction - there's no category for the skip stuff, but we do have an article with lots of links - feel free to add anything skip-related here...

DXing Above 30 Mhz - The RadioReference Wiki

The same article can be accessed from the wiki pulldown (in the blue toolbar under the logo) under 'skip/DX'

73 and thanx Mike

Last edited:

w2xq

Mentor
Add DX Sherlock to your propagation collection of websites. While DX Sherlock's real time maps covers the HF and VHF ham bands, it will certainly show activity adjacent to VHF-low and VHF-high. This is the live map link, but there's many more pages to wander through. These pages go crazy when Sporadic-E shows up on 28, 50 or 144 MHz.

QSO/SWL real time maps

(I'm not going to muck with the Wiki. If I mess it up, Mike will haunt me.)

Status
Not open for further replies.