Super Bowl 50 flyover and combat air patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

2k1typeSH

Premium Subscriber
Does anybody know which, if any military unit will be performing the flyover for Super Bowl 50? What about the combat air patrol during the game? My best guess for the combat air patrol would be the 144th Fighter Wing out of Fresno, since they are closest, but I haven't got anything to confirm that. Frequencies for any unit listed would be appreciated too.

pilotman6012

With that it would be NORAD frequencies and usually an AWACS bird to identify targets who violate the airspace and usually Homeland Security has 2-3 choppers and 1-2 aircraft in the area as well usually closer to the stadium.

265.4 CAP Primary
364.2 AICC Primary/Air Intercept

There are many more look here in Radio Reference for NORAD and there is a large identified list and channels.

Last edited:
Did somebody call for an AWACS?

Snapped this last fall, local AWACS convention.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 2,613

Hooligan

My educated guess is 271.0MHz will be used for the CAP, and due to good radar coverage in the area, the CAP will be controlled by BIGFOOT (WADS - McChord AFB), not an E-3 AWACS or CBP AEWC aircraft. If I'm right, you'll be able to hear BIGFOOT thru a local NDAG in the Bay Area....

Another cool thing to look/listen for is one or more FBI aircraft up doing surveillance, and passing a video feed to the FBI mobile command center, HRT TOC & joint security operations center via microwave link. The need to get some of those assets ready for the Super Bowl is why they're not screwing around anymore with the BS up in Oregon.

nyair1

In the Northeast they have used 228.900 and 260.900 for the CAP. Also 247.050 for AR. You might want to put these in too.

Eng74

There will be lots of flyovers during the game since Levi's Stadium is right in the path of San Jose airport. We get them all the time during the 49ers game.

2k1typeSH

Premium Subscriber
According to the article below, it will be the 144th Fighter Wing providing the CAP detail, with an Aerial Refueling Wing out of March ARB providing air refueling support.

Fighter Jets, Tanker Planes To Provide Air Security For Super Bowl 50 « CBS Los Angeles

And according to this second article, a large training exercise will take place on February 3. That may be a good day to monitor and provide confirmed frequencies.

Super Bowl 50 Flight Security To Include Fighter Jets, Helicopters « CBS San Francisco

Last edited:

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
I believe I was monitoring that refueling event that was on the CBS San Francisco link above. They were using 240.175 for refueling ops. There was talk about photo flybys and now I know why. I also agree that they are likely to use Norad Blue 15, 271.0 for the CAP operation. They were using that after Sept 11th. I will try and monitor during the exercise next week and post what I hear.

2k1typeSH

Premium Subscriber
I believe I was monitoring that refueling event that was on the CBS San Francisco link above. They were using 240.175 for refueling ops. There was talk about photo flybys and now I know why. I also agree that they are likely to use Norad Blue 15, 271.0 for the CAP operation. They were using that after Sept 11th. I will try and monitor during the exercise next week and post what I hear.

Thanks for the frequency info. I have 240.175 listed as a "working" air-air freq for the 144th Fighter Wing. I agree that they will most likely be using 271.0 for CAP ops.

Here is a link to their wiki, which contains additional frequencies and a "button/push" list.

CA ANG 144th Fighter Wing - The RadioReference Wiki

kma371

QRT
There will be lots of flyovers during the game since Levi's Stadium is right in the path of San Jose airport. We get them all the time during the 49ers game.

Uh, he's talking about formation flyovers or military ones special for the game only not regular old commercial flights on approach.

sqk7700

Premium Subscriber
Blue Angels flyover

Does anybody know which, if any military unit will be performing the flyover for Super Bowl 50.

I'm hearing that the Blue Angels will perform the flyover.

Blue Angel #7 will arrive on Thursday to NUQ (Moffett). The rest of the gang will arrive on Saturday.

I'm also hearing that POTUS and Marine One will be at NUQ as well (unconfirmed).

BM82557

I'm hearing that the Blue Angels will perform the flyover.

Blue Angel #7 will arrive on Thursday to NUQ (Moffett). The rest of the gang will arrive on Saturday.

I'm also hearing that POTUS and Marine One will be at NUQ as well (unconfirmed).

This website seconds the Blue Angels - The US Navy Blue Angels Will Fly Over Super Bowl 50 In San Francisco | AirshowStuff

along with their Facebook - www.facebook.com/USNavyBlueAngels/?fref=photo

Blue Angels freqs are listed here - http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Blue_Angels_Pensacola_NAS_Homecoming_and_Beach_Airshows

Last edited:

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
There are usually contingency plans for a POTUS visit to each Super Bowl, but they are just in case and may not actually happen...

- Chris

pilotman6012

And there will not be any local flights,there is a 10 Mile NO-FLY zone around the stadium,other than aircraft involved with security,the FBI,DHS,USCG,CA ANG F-15.

sqk7700

Premium Subscriber
Update no POTUS

I now hear that POTUS will not be here and thanks BM82557 for the links! Sure like to hear the Blues even if its just a Flyover.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
And there will not be any local flights,there is a 10 Mile NO-FLY zone around the stadium,other than aircraft involved with security,the FBI,DHS,USCG,CA ANG F-15.

That should be interesting. A number of airports in that area, including approaches for SFO and Oakland.

Glad I don't live in San Jose anymore.

kma371

QRT
That should be interesting. A number of airports in that area, including approaches for SFO and Oakland.

Glad I don't live in San Jose anymore.

Local flights are allowed with certain restrictions, such as those with flight plans or IFR traffic.

From the FAA
A. ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS WITHIN THE 10 NMR AREA(S) LISTED ABOVE, KNOWN AS THE INNER CORE(S), ARE PROHIBITED EXCEPT FOR: APPROVED LAW ENFORCEMENT, MILITARY AIRCRAFT, APPROVED AIR AMBULANCE FLIGHTS, AND REGULARLY SCHEDULED COMMERCIAL PASSENGER AND ALL-CARGO CARRIERS OPERATING UNDER ONE OF THE FOLLOWING TSA-APPROVED STANDARD SECURITY PROGRAMS/PROCEDURES: AIRCRAFT OPERATOR STANDARD SECURITY PROGRAM (AOSSP), FULL ALL-CARGO AIRCRAFT OPERATOR STANDARD SECURITY PROGRAM (FACAOSSP), MODEL SECURITY PROGRAM (MSP), TWELVE FIVE STANDARD SECURITY PROGRAM (TFSSP) ALL CARGO, OR ALL-CARGO INTERNATIONAL SECURITY PROCEDURE (ACISP) AND ARE ARRIVING INTO AND/OR DEPARTING FROM 14 CFR PART 139 AIRPORTS. ALL EMERGENCY/LIFESAVING FLIGHTS (AIR AMBULANCE/LAW ENFORCEMENT/FIREFIGHTING) AND DOD FLIGHTS MUST COORDINATE WITH THE JOINT OPERATIONS CENTER (JOC) PRIOR TO THEIR DEPARTURE AT 650-604-3623 TO AVOID POTENTIAL DELAYS.

Status
Not open for further replies.